co2 setup - paintball version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
So im looking at co2 as well but pressurized. My take is a 20oz paintball version because of the cheapness and its still as effective and should last my size tank (20g) just long enough. Im pieceing it together and getting the tank from wally world. Here is what I have. Will these work?

Adapter - http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=230840007868

Regulator - http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005VS1GD6/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1379306756&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Like I said, Cheap. Will that regulator work? Would I need a gauge to monitor the co2 lvl in the co2 bottle? And will that adapter work? I can get the tank for 10 bucks and filled for 5. Thats 15 and 16.99 for adapter and 27.00 for regulator. 59 bucks aint bad.

Diffuser - http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009CJGSAQ/ref=pd_aw_sbs_8?pi=SS115

It would work but since those simple regulators have no second stage psi reducer (not sure the exact terminology), you're dealing with high pressure so you'd have to be spot on with that needle valve... more importantly, there's no solenoid valve, so unless you plan on manually turning it off and on each night, you'll be wasting co2 at night, which means more frequent need to get refills... over time these refills add up $$$. So IMHO, you'd be better off to save money by not needing to buy an adapter by getting a regulator that fits paintball and has a solenoid valve... such a regulator would be the Aquatek mini regulator.

It would work but since those simple regulators have no second stage psi reducer (not sure the exact terminology), you're dealing with high pressure so you'd have to be spot on with that needle valve... more importantly, there's no solenoid valve, so unless you plan on manually turning it off and on each night, you'll be wasting co2 at night, which means more frequent need to get refills... over time these refills add up $$$. So IMHO, you'd be better off to save money by not needing to buy an adapter by getting a regulator that fits paintball and has a solenoid valve... such a regulator would be the Aquatek mini regulator.

Thanks for the reply brian. So according to what I read about it, its freaking awesome but a bit costly. Id be spending 40 extra dollars for it which isnt bad at all. All I would need is a diffuser of some sort. I read about what you stated on the regulator I posted but I guess I needed conformation. Ill see if I can get that one. Its 89.99 and cost of the other regulator and adapter and bubble counter and check valve was gonna be 62 after I searched some more so all in all its a better buy

Yeah... I noticed too, that if you get the Aquatek mini regulator from Aquatek's eBay store versus their Amazon one, you get free co2 tubing. But yes, it comes with a bubble counter and integrated check valve.. so those are three less things you'd need to buy separately.

But seriously, the biggest savings comes from less frequent refills. 5$ a refill plus the gas it takes you to drive there and back, the difference will be made up eventually and then some.

All you'd need to buy separately are:
*diffuser
*drop checker w/ 4dkh reference solution
*timer

I found cheap GE manual timers from home depot.

Yeah I can get timers cheap for 10 bucks. Ill probably have to order a drop checker and I found a fluval glass diffuser on amazon for 7 bucks shipped

I just buy the cheap glass drop checkers on eBay. They're better than the plastic UP Aqua one I bought on Amazon.

I believe Bud29 sells some of those drop checkers too.

Yeah I can get timers cheap for 10 bucks. Ill probably have to order a drop checker and I found a fluval glass diffuser on amazon for 7 bucks shipped

I haven't seen the glass diffuser by fluval.. However, I do have two of those black (plastic) ceramic disk fluval diffusers... they work great and produce a fine mist.

A few thoughts on the matter:

1) if you're going to get a full size regulator, get one that fits a CGA320 tank and buy an adapter so you can use a full size tank later if you wanted to.

2) if you get a paintball sized regulator (either an actual regulator or one of the ASA valves like the one you originally linked) you don't need an adapter.

3) You can usually find someone selling paintball setups (minus the tank usually) either here or on TPT that will include everything or almost everything you'll need.

A few thoughts on the matter:

1) if you're going to get a full size regulator, get one that fits a CGA320 tank and buy an adapter so you can use a full size tank later if you wanted to.

2) if you get a paintball sized regulator (either an actual regulator or one of the ASA valves like the one you originally linked) you don't need an adapter.

3) You can usually find someone selling paintball setups (minus the tank usually) either here or on TPT that will include everything or almost everything you'll need.

Yeah on #3 I get that but, ive been burned buying from people online before so im really iffy on that. The aquatek one is perfect. I dont plan on buying full-size tanks

Yeah on #3 I get that but, ive been burned buying from people online before so im really iffy on that. The aquatek one is perfect. I dont plan on buying full-size tanks

In my experience, the hobbyist scene has been extremely trustworthy and dependable, especially frequent sellers on large sites that have a reputation to maintain.

In my experience, the hobbyist scene has been extremely trustworthy and dependable, especially frequent sellers on large sites that have a reputation to maintain.

Ill look around but im set on the aquatek regulator mini. Do you know anyone selling that exact one?

I'm always perusing the buy/sell on TPT or otherwise. I haven't seen any recent posts for it. And come to think about it, I've seen like 1 or 2 Aquatek regulators on there in the span of over a year. So, I think that's a good sign...meaning, people like them and rarely experience issues enough to part with it.

I think there's a used GLA Intense Atomic paintball regulator being offered up, though. It's a nice regulator too. But even at the used price, it's more expensive than a new Aquatek mini.

Last edited:
I'm always perusing the buy/sell on TPT or otherwise. I haven't seen any recent posts for it. And come to think about it, I've seen like 1 or 2 Aquatek regulators on there in the span of over a year. So, I think that's a good sign...meaning, people like them and rarely experience issues enough to part with it.

I think there's a used GLA Intense Atomic paintball regulator being offered up, though. It's a nice regulator too. But even at the used price, it's more expensive than a new Aquatek mini.

Yeah im in a budget. A mini is expensive enough for me. Where would I get dry ferts? I dont wanna make a thread for that. Ill be conservative today. What ferts would I need?

The two most popular dosing methods are EI and PPS-Pro. You should learn which one you'd prefer to use. I use PPS-Pro and get my dry ferts from GLA. After you order your dry ferts, you'll need to order a gram scale. Amazon has a good digital gram scale for cheap.

Ferts:
http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html

There are some links on that page for information about the dosing regimens.

Okay so I did some math but it seems wrong. According to the pps pro method of mixing ferts. A 1L bottle will last my 20g tank over 500 days? And then 1lb of ferts can last over 10 years? What am I missing here?

Yeah I'm not sure about the exact amount and how long it would last, but I bought that pack about a year ago. I still have plenty, well my Plantex CSM + B is starting to run low and I'll need to order more soon. I'm dosing a 26g, 12g, 6g, and 2g. Dry ferts are definitely the way to go and practically LASTS FOREVER!

Yeah I'm not sure about the exact amount and how long it would last, but I bought that pack about a year ago. I still have plenty, well my Plantex CSM + B is starting to run low and I'll need to order more soon. I'm dosing a 26g, 12g, 6g, and 2g. Dry ferts are definitely the way to go and practically LASTS FOREVER!

Wow. I never realized that. Ill definitely be getting the PPS ferts for sure. That and the co2 should work nicely and hopefully a nice light. I checked out the fuge ray 2 and the satellite. I think fuge ray 2 is the way to go for this one

Fugeray? Or Ray 2?

Just an FYI, Finnex is also releasing their Fugeray Planted Plus in just over a month. It's priced between the regular Fugeray and the Ray 2. It incorporates red diodes so color might be better if you plan to keep red plants.

Back
Top Bottom