Co2 system build from brew shop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, there's a new brew your own beer shop in the city where I live and I was wondering if there were parts made for making your own beer that I could use to build a co2 system for planted tank injection. I've already boughten champagne yeast at this shop for my DIY yeast system and it's working incredible but it's time to step into pure co2 injection. My city doesn't have any shop dedicated to aquariums and this DIY beer shop is as close as I can find. Any pointers to building a system would be great. Any experience also. Thanks everyone!

They will be a good source for getting your canister refilled/replaced and possibly an option for picking up a regulator as well. Whether you can get a proper post-regulator setup is the big question (ie solenoid, needle valve, bubble counter).

I've been reading up on gas injection in the tank for a while but still have a lot of questions. Such as, can I run co2 injection with just a 5lbs tank, regulator, and needle valve as a temporary setup until I purchase everything else? Any links to where I can find any info on my questions?

yes but you can't turn off the c02, you need a solenoid so you could turn it on or off without closing the regulator valve.

Interesting. Thank you both. It'll take a while for the brew shop to get co2 stuff in so I'll research and shop for the other needed components for the system. Any other info or any links on the subject is more than welcome. Thank you.

A bubble counter can be done DIY fairly easily (look for plans on the internet) especially if you also use a low-pressure diffusion system like an inline reactor. Running without a solenoid can be done, although it can be risky if running high levels of CO2 without good surface agitation, and is otherwise wasteful of CO2.

This is the pressure regulator my nearby brew shop has. The owner said he could sell it to me for 49.99. That's what raised a red flag. Is this a pressure regulator or flow regulator. Figure I'd post the pic and ask before buying. The brand is chudnow.

Attachments

• image-4181897529.jpg
    image-4181897529.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 86
Just to let you know, I bought a similar CO2 regulator and have been fiddling with it for about 4 months now... I'm finally breaking down and buying a needle valve to replace the ball joint outflow. I couldn't control the flow well enough and I've gone through 3 10 lb tanks due to that and leaks. If I could do it again, I'd either buy a regulator with a needle valve or buy a needle valve separately immediately (and depending on where you're looking, they can be dirt cheap; $1.50; or pretty expensive; ~$20).

^ thanks for the tip. So your saying I should take off the ball joint and replace it with a needle valve. Was your regulator from a brew shop or different shop? Thanks again!

That's a pressure regulator. It looks like a dual stage regulator too, so it will be better than the Milwaukee. That being said, the lever thing isn't any good for what we do, so you'll need a new postbody setup (needle valve, bubble counter, etc).

^ thanks for the tip. So your saying I should take off the ball joint and replace it with a needle valve. Was your regulator from a brew shop or different shop? Thanks again!

That's what I'm planning on doing... I also tried a combination bubble counter/diffuser from Green Leaf Aquariums, but it didn't really work for me. I finally broke down and got a cheap CO2 reactor from Dr. Fosters and Smith (maybe $14?)... hopefully it will work well enough, though I'm beginning to find that trying to cheap out the system is getting more expensive than going quality in the first place. I still need to grab a bubble counter, though.

Can someone recommend a solenoid valve? Thank you. Also, are the needle valve openings I need a 1/8 inch measurement?

I think you can get them on eBay for fairly cheap. Can't speak to the quality, but I don't think solenoids are really rocket science.

Back
Top Bottom