Co2 system explanation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have been trying hard for a little while now to understand how to set up a system. But I really don't have a clue.
I have one of my boyfriends old paintball co2 canisters and was hoping to build a system around it, but I don't know what all I need and how to set it up.

Is there a "CO2 set up for dummies" guide out there anywhere? Lol
Or can someone please explain it to me in easy to understand terms?
Thanks!

I find that the aquatek mini regulator for paintball is value priced and works well. If you buy it from their Ebay store, they throw in free stuff you'll need anyway, such as co2 tubing and a bubble counter with an integrated check valve. It comes with instructions on how to set it up. Its pretty straight forward once you have it.

You'll need to buy a diffuser separately. A simple Fluval ceramic diffuser would do. There's many good options.

If you're using an old paintball tank, you should get it inspected when you get it refilled. Some places automatically do that before refilling it.

You can also buy a co2 drop checker. Its an indicator that changes color in the aquarium to give you an estimate of whether or not you have enough co2 dissolved in the water. You can buy 4dhk reference solution on Ebay for accuracy in your drop checker.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for all that info! I'll look at those threads when I get my break. I'll probably have some more questions!

+1 with Brian! I was really confused with it also, but really all you need are the tank, tubing, bubble counter, diffuser and regulator and fill the tank with CO2 and thats it lol mine hasnt ran out since October last year, but I have a 5lb tank... I also use AquaTek's regulators -good choice for one :)

I find that the aquatek mini regulator for paintball is value priced and works well. If you buy it from their Ebay store, they throw in free stuff you'll need anyway, such as co2 tubing and a bubble counter with an integrated check valve. It comes with instructions on how to set it up. Its pretty straight forward once you have it.

You'll need to buy a diffuser separately. A simple Fluval ceramic diffuser would do. There's many good options.

If you're using an old paintball tank, you should get it inspected when you get it refilled. Some places automatically do that before refilling it.

You can also buy a co2 drop checker. Its an indicator that changes color in the aquarium to give you an estimate of whether or not you have enough co2 dissolved in the water. You can buy 4dhk reference solution on Ebay for accuracy in your drop checker.

I have also heard that aqua tek regulators have worked well I would definitely try one f these out

Back
Top Bottom