co2 system for 55g, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lamiskool

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am pretty new to fish keeping and just started to keep a planted tank and was looking into buying a co2 system for my 55gal tank and was wondering if these were ok, also was wondering what is the psi or how do i measure how much co2 i should be adding into my 55gal thankyou for any help and sorry for probably sounding really stupid

Hydrofarm CO2 System+Tank+Diffuser

Or

Milwaukee Instruments+Timer+Tank+Diffuser

was wondering if the diffuser and tank for both options were ok and work with each system

The first one isn't an aquarium system... it's for greenhouses. The second one is fine, though I prefer to DIY a reactor to run inline with my canister rather than that diffuser.

You'll also need a drop checker, some 4dkh solution, and either bromethymol blue or the pH test solution from your liquid test kit. As the co2 drops the pH, the drop checker turns colors. Blue is not enough, green is good, lime green is perfect, yellow is to much.

IMO you should get the biggest size co2 tank that you can. The bigger the less often you have to fill it ;)

That's one expensive co2 diffuser. I got mine from one of those china dealers for like 8 bucks. I'd say buy the china diffuser and get yourself a brass check valve too.

the drop checker is to keep your dissolved co2 around 30ppm, and you can make your own dkh solution with an alkalinity test kit.

Co2 is generally checked in bubbles per minute, which is why you might want a bubble counter. the solenoid you linked has one built in. the psi is regulated by the dual needle valve. you'd adjust it till you have the right bubble count. the solenoid just turns it off at night.

you can get a much cheaper diffuser on ebay, but the best one is going to be inline with a canister filter, unless your canister filter doesn't work well with gas buildup. In that case you can run the diffuser in the return line.

Back
Top Bottom