Co2 system questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats just a super fancy DIY unit, save your money.

If pressurized isnt in the budget DIY does the exact same thing as that, and you can get even fancier with DIY then that kit.

:shotgun:
Thats just a super fancy DIY unit, save your money.

If pressurized isnt in the budget DIY does the exact same thing as that, and you can get even fancier with DIY then that kit.

Its not that it isnt in the budget...Its that I am new to the whole planted scence and was looking for a newb item.

go with a DIY unit then, I run my 52g off 4 2 liter bottles with a 5th 2 liter for a seperator. cost, like 15 bucks.

first of all co2 isnt always a must though it does help in most cases. personally i dont think the diy co2 is that good over 20-30 gallons. it can be done in larger tanks but the prices and work does add up. those 4 2 liter bottles whitedelivil uses in the long run will cost more then a pressurized system. personally i would much rather go with a pressurized system one of those things you can sit and forget about for months unlike most things in the hobby.

2Litres for every 15 gallons is about the maximum you can get. My set up is:

2Litre bottle with yeast/water/sugar mixture. Two holes drilled in the cap, one leading to the tank the other leading to a flow control valve so I can release gas in case I'm producing too much. Then between the tank and the bottle another flow control valve to check my bubble production. The hose leading to the tank ends in an airstone which is situated inside a 1" diameter clear plastic tube that feeds directly into the power head. Sometimes filter floss is put into the tube to slow down the gas diffusion but it always ends up being a hassle as debris gets caught in the tubing a lot when i do it so I've stopped.
It's an easy to maintain set up really.

Yea, CO2 systems can run up to 100 dollars, while a n EASY DIY system can be made for none more than 15 dollars!!

The effect is the same, I have a 14 gal with 1 bottle, and my power filter spreads all CO2 thoughout the tank

really in most cases thats 150-200 for the start up cost..... but in that year or so that co2 is going with touching it..... how much will you spend on the ingredients for the diy? how much time did you spend switching them out? how about year two when pressurized system costs $15-20 to fill if that.

really in most cases thats 150-200 for the start up cost..... but in that year or so that co2 is going with touching it..... how much will you spend on the ingredients for the diy? how much time did you spend switching them out? how about year two when pressurized system costs $15-20 to fill if that.

DIY CO2 in my place;

A sode bottle (U can refill it u'r whole life) 0,30 EURO cent
1 pack of yeast (enough for a year) 1,5 EURO
Sugar is always available 1 EURO
A tube (can be used ur whole life) 0,50 CENT (for like 1 meter)
And tap water ofcours.

MY DIY runs for over 4 weeks, after 3-4 weeks I add sugar + yeast to keep it running, after 2 months I need to re-make the mix.

So for a Starter DIY kit it will be 3.30 EURO = 4.1 dollars
:)

Compared to a 150-200 for a life time and 15-20 CO2 refillage
against 4 dollars, and like 2 dollar for 1 year.

Well DIY works AMZING in small tanks if build correctly.
If u have a power filter with an input for a Tube it's perfect!

If u don't have that u can buy CO2 diffuser or just stick the tube onder u'r filter, so the CO2 get's sucked in and diffused.

spend the extra money nad get a real pressurized system. the throw away co2 bottles will add up.

You can find the MA957's for around $80 on ebay. That is the way I would go. Spend the extra money - it is worth it!

Ive heard the Milwaukee's break easily and are pretty much overpriced junk according to plant only people.

I am very happy with my aquariumplants.com regulator, it was worth every penny and then some.

Well its the old mans but if he could plug it in and set it up right then anyone can.

Interesting... only things I have read is that they are nice entry level regulators. Haven't really read too many complaints on them. Several people on here (and other forums) recommended it to me. I think a lot of problems come about when people use pipe dope on the threads. The dope will end up clogging it, doesn't take much!

I've had mine up and running with no problems since the beginning of the year.

Good to know because I am in the market for a regulator for my 20oz. cylinder, I do have to admit my source for that info was from some anal plant only keepers, plant thugs.

its a budget regulator.... it works but there better ones out there though you will pay for it. i been using a milwaukee for years with out problems.

What type of CO2 tanks are you talking about? I have a 20oz Paintball co2 tank, can i fit a regulator to that?

there are paintball regulators most are about $100 or so but they run out in a month or two. again the costs are a lot more then going with a normal 5 pound co2 tank.

I can get co2 refills for free actually at the local club. I just found an adaptor that changes a painball valve into a regular tank valve for 10 bucks, plus a regulator making it 50 in total for a cheap way to have pressurized co2.

Back
Top Bottom