Co2 System. Tell me what I need.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello Again,

I'm thinking about getting an actual Co2 system since it's getting near the holidays. I was just wondering what I all needed exactly, like reactors regulators, the cylinder ect. I got a diffuser already.

Also if you could, point me in a direction where I can find it all cheap, websites perferably.

Thanks,
Ben

The milwaukee ma 957 is pretty constantly under 90 dollars shipped. Pretty trustworthy regulator with solenoid, the needle valve is kind of touchy though. For the tank, usually heading to your local ferguson or airgas is the best way to go, for the cost of purchasing a tank, shipping and filling it, you could have gotten a brand new filled tank that is tested and perfect for about 100 dollars for a 5lb. The 10lb isnt much more but only if you have the room for the tank. Then just the tubing and diffuser which you have. So 200 bucks should set you up nicely. Ebay the regulator.

You will need a regulator (milwaukee MA957 is less expensive than others), check valve (get brass not plastic), diffuser/reactor, and co2 tank. Bubble counters and ph regulators are not needed. Solenoids are nice and usually come with regulators as a combo.

Here is a Milwaukee regulator on ebay for $86.95 plus shipping and comes with solenoid, bubble counter, and even free tubing. I'd go that route.

I'd buy the check valve and more tubing (doesn't hurt to have extra) from Rex Grigg. Aquabotanic has the check valve for the same price, but plus shipping.

I'd buy the co2 tank locally, just call and ask prices before you go buy. If you can't find one for a decent price locally, http://www.aquariumplants.com sells co2 tanks, but you'll want to have a place locally that will fill your personal tank.

A drop checker is good to have. Its an easy way to know if you have enough co2 in the tank or not. You can't always rely on pH/KH because of things that affect those. The glass ones are nice looking, but not cheap to buy in the US. There are sellers on ebay that have them for $8-9 but they aren't in the US. Honestly I'd look for a Red Sea brand one and just get that. Cheap is better than fancy! :)

edit: Haha...Markstanfill and I were thinking alike. :D

a regulator with a solonoid is a definate.

you can make a reactor or buy one or stick with your diffusor. there are debates over which is better, misting with a diffusor or dissolving into a reactor. here are some interesting threads to read from tom barr. CO2 revelations and CO2 revelations part 2#.

if you are going with the diffusor. you should have 2 of them. when one of them gets clogged up you can remove it and soak it in bleach over night and then hook up the other one without any downtime

also a timer for your co2
and a timer for an airstone to run when the lights are out (i'm sure you have that already though)

Back
Top Bottom