CO2 tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been seriously debating adding a pressurized co2 system to my tank. I'm not exactly sure where to go about buying or refilling a tank around me but I'm sure I could find out.

I'm more curious what size would be best for my tank and how long it'll last. I see people saying a 5lbs tank lasts 3-4 months for like a 20 gallon aquarium, I have a 150 gallon aquarium.

For all of you running a CO2 system, what size CO2 tank would you get for a 150 gallon aquarium? And, where have you had the best luck purchasing and refilling your tanks?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'd probably go with a 10lb minimum.

Where did you get your tanks at? Not to derail my own thread, but I was reading through other threads about CO2 and noticed you mentioning that you run it but if you don't have the proper fertilizer, etc. it won't make a difference. What do you mean by that? I'm using liquid fertilizers as well as root tabs. Do you think that would be sufficient?

Where did you get your tanks at? Not to derail my own thread, but I was reading through other threads about CO2 and noticed you mentioning that you run it but if you don't have the proper fertilizer, etc. it won't make a difference. What do you mean by that? I'm using liquid fertilizers as well as root tabs. Do you think that would be sufficient?

Its called a limiting factor. Every plant needs a trio of proper lights, ferts, and co2 to get maximum growth. A deficiency in any of these will slow the plant growth down and invite algae.

Liquid fertilizers are perfectly fine for a low light tank, however at medium or high light they areally fairly useless. Even more so if you are doing pressurized co2. So in those cases fertilizer would be your limiting factor.

I got my tank and refills from airgas. They have up to 25lb tanks if I'm not mistaken.

Its called a limiting factor. Every plant needs a trio of proper lights, ferts, and co2 to get maximum growth. A deficiency in any of these will slow the plant growth down and invite algae.

Liquid fertilizers are perfectly fine for a low light tank, however at medium or high light they areally fairly useless. Even more so if you are doing pressurized co2. So in those cases fertilizer would be your limiting factor.

I got my tank and refills from airgas. They have up to 25lb tanks if I'm not mistaken.

Awesome, I'll check them out. Thanks.

Does it matter which type? There's restaurant grade, research grade, instrument, medical, etc.

I just feel like something isn't right. 20lbs tank for $34. On Amazon they're over $100. I'll figure something out though. I still need to decide if I want to pull the trigger on setting up CO2

I'd suggest a 10# as well, 20# would be better though. Look into tank swaps, welding supply shops and certain other shops will do tank swaps. You may drop $100 on the deposit but it's def. The way to go for larger tanks.. I run a 5# on my 30l and 20t, it's split to.both tanks, total bps is around 12-14.. when it doesn't leak I can get around 3 months out of it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alright. I've got a friend that is a welder so I'm going to try to get ahold of him. And I found another welding company right across the river in Indiana.

I don't know why I'm so nervous to try CO2 injection, but I'm trying to talk myself into it.

Back
Top Bottom