CO2 Tubing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh2o

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have some questions about suitable tubing for CO2 delivery. I have been using silicone airline tubing because it comes in black and blue and is very flexible. It does not appear to harden, become brittle and prone to leaks via cracking like vinyl tubing (when used with CO2).

I have read that the flexibility with silicone tubing makes it prone to leaking due to it being permeable to CO2 (as much as 6% per linear foot). Anyone else hear or have knowledge of this? Is the amount loss negligible?

I saw Aquatek CO2 Proof tubing on Amazon (16'/$9.99):
AQUATEK CO2-Proof Tubing 16 Feet:Amazon:pet Supplies
Anyone with experience with this product? The reviews do mention that it works well, however, is quite stiff. I am purchasing a Fluval bubble counter today and was on the fence about ordering the Aquatek tubing. Thanks!

I use the silicone tubing that comes with the Aquatek bubble counter. I haven't had any problems with it osmosing through the tubing.

I use the silicone tubing that comes with the Aquatek bubble counter. I haven't had any problems with it osmosing through the tubing.

Thanks! I think I'll save the $10 and spend it on something else. Or put it into my "pressurized CO2 system fund" (which does not exist yet).
In another forum silicone tubing was being compared to a bubble wand in terms of its porosity. A bit of a stretch IMO unless they were using some extremely high psi. Idk.

So far as I know, both vinyl and silicone tubing will leak some CO2. The longer the tube the more leakage, plus the vinyl will harden with any type of use and have to be replaced much sooner. So that's why you can get the special purpose CO2 tubing.

But it costs a lot more and the losses are really quite negligible for the purpose of aquarium use, provided the rest of the setup has no leaks. So it's generally not worth the expense of getting the special tubing.

Back
Top Bottom