co2 won't dissolve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lossam8199

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi this is how much co2 flying around in my tank, but my drop checker still stays blue, and I don't really see any bubbles dissolved into the water, they seemed to just float up to the top.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398717923.043193.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398717939.717750.jpg

One trick that a few people use to help with absorption is to put the diffuser directly underneath a powerhead intake or your filter intake. That works best with a canister filter but not limited to. I see you have it under a fan type powerhead. What is your pH?

How long has it been since you last changed the liquid in the checker? You used both 4dkh and ph fluids in the checker right?
As Dmunoz said, the powerhead (you have the koralia one I believe?) should grind up the bubbles nicely and diffuse them. Is there another source of water movement other than the powerhead?

How long has it been since you last changed the liquid in the checker? You used both 4dkh and ph fluids in the checker right?
As Dmunoz said, the powerhead (you have the koralia one I believe?) should grind up the bubbles nicely and diffuse them. Is there another source of water movement other than the powerhead?

it's a new indicator with fresh solution, yes 4dKh. and it's been there for three hours

I do have two HOB filters (fluval c4) at the top.

How much surface disturbance is there? If it's splashing then you are losing a good bit of co2 from that. The surface really needs to stay calm.

It does take a few hours for a drop checker to register accurately, assuming it works. In that size tank, usually around 2-3 bps is a good guesstimate of where to start.

How much surface disturbance is there? If it's splashing then you are losing a good bit of co2 from that. The surface really needs to stay calm.

It does take a few hours for a drop checker to register accurately, assuming it works. In that size tank, usually around 2-3 bps is a good guesstimate of where to start.

it's really not splashing, I filled the water all the way to the top where the water come out, so it's like waves of water coming out instead of splashing into the tank.

I tried 3bps, but really didn't work out, I will try 4-5 bps tmr

Try measuring your pH before the CO2 comes on and then at the end of your photoperiod after your CO2 has been on all day. If you see an appreciable drop, you know its a drop checkers issue, and if you don't see much of a drop, it's an actual CO2 issue.

Drop checkers tell you what your C02 levels were 15-30 minutes ago. The fluval one you have is not the greatest, but, as long as it's not leaking the solution into the tank it should work... Judging by your pics, surface agitation is not a problem, as the Co2 is clearly staying in the water. Where is the drop checker placed? Needs to be 2 inches from the top of the water, and should be away from any currents or bubblers(across the tank from the diffuser).

Back
Top Bottom