co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bully405Customz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay everyone, I've previously had planted tanks then that tank busted aand I decided to go with cichlids. Anyways I just recently started a new 50 gallon planted tank and I'd forgotten how much I love the beautiful, simplistic, tranquil planted tanks. I'm strongly considering selling my 150 gallon tall for a shorter either 90 or 75 gallon and full on planting it. I have a 4' 4 bulb all with individual reflectors so like 212 Watts and with that much light, and the plants I want. I need to know everything I can about co2 because I'm sure ill need it.

Sorry it was so long I got a little carried away. Thank you in advance for the help

I guess I'm not clear on what you want to know. Recommended regulators, diffusion methods, biological relevance? There are tons of threads about most of these already.

Mainly what I need, how to diffuse it into the tank, the correct amount to dose. I've read through the better part of them and its still a little cloudy.

Lots of ways to diffuse it... Ceramic/glass diffusers, powered reactors, atomizers, bubble ladders, bells, etc. My favorite method is inline reactors from the canister filter. No bubbles in the tank that way.

30-40ppm is a good number. A lime green... kind of yellowish color on the drop checker is where I always kept mine.

What you will need:

CO2 tank, preferably 5# plus ($50 ish)
CO2 regulator (Milwaukee's is a good budget option) ($60-$200, you get what you pay for)
Diffusion Method. Pick your poison from atomizer, passive reactor, venturi reactor, intank diffusers (ceramic, ladder, bell, etc). Many options here with good reasons for an against each. Mfdrookie uses a passive CO2 reactor, and I prefer GLA's inline CO2 atomizer. To each their own. ($10-$50)

Strongly recommended: Drop checker to check CO2 levels ($ 10)

Recommended: Metal CO2 proof checkvalve ($5)

Okay so really not a lot of money to get it set up, which is awesome. I have an fx5 so the inline diffuser would be cool to keep more things out of my tank. Thank you for the info guys, it will be a nice starting place

Back
Top Bottom