Coating outside items

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BalaGuppieGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I received as a gift real lava rock with quartz gems in them. I LOVE this beautiful and rare gift but it is causing ammonia levels. Is there a way to coat these rocks so they are safe for my tank like clear marine Epoxy?

That's quite odd. I can't figure out how the lava rock (which I assume is volcanic) or the quartz gems would cause ammonia levels. Neither of those rocks should be an issue.

Have the quartz gems been placed in the rock or are they part of the rock?

Vesicular basalt with zeolight is all I can think of that may be an issue.

http://www.netartsbaytoday.org/assets/images/Vesicular-basalt-1.jpg

The gems are there naturally. I was told by the person who gave it to me that it is quartz and that he has no issues with them in his own tank but my fiancé and I placed one rock in a bucket of water that tested with no ammonia and within 3 hours the ammonia was at a .5 level when retested.

We also tried boiling the rocks and retesting and still tested with ammonia levels.

I have a hard time believing the rock itself would be causing a rise in ammonia levels. Ammonia is an organic byproduct. I would test the tap water for ammonia, then fill a bucket, add the rock and test the water again in a few days. If the rock was found outside there may be something trapped in it somewhere that may be rotting and causing the ammonia.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That could make sense. Would be handy to know if it was picked up off the surface or was chipped out of a railway cutting or something where it could be fresh rock. Intriguing!

Back
Top Bottom