Cold Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

finding nemo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a tank that contains regular, boring, plain old tropical fish. I always had this dream of making a cold water tank and putting trout in it. Sort of like a North American nature scene (water fall, stream and a small small pond at the bottom).

I have many questions and I can't seem to find any information about it on the internet.

I heard that cooling a tank with dry ice is the best way to do it. But how do you do that? I know you can't put dry ice into the water. Do you duct tape it to the glass? How often does it have to be changed?

If I use regular ice to cool the tank, do I have to use ice that has been filtered?

How do I keep it from getting too cold?

Where can I get real small trout? I would like a species the call "Cut Throats" (Oncorhynchus clarki henshawi Lahontan Cutthroat Trout ). I caught some when fishing in Montana last year.

How would one construct a small stream? I want the stream to connect a waterfall with a large tank. It would be about 20ft. long.

How do you filter a stream?

Help!!!!

Well, I started to write a post for you, but once again I feel overwhelmed by the project as my evil twin took over the plans. My uncle has a trout farm in Canada, it's basically a huge pond. He just dug into the ground until he hit the water table and made a huge pond. As for an indoor aquarium, a 20 foot aquarium, with 30" width, and 24" depth, would be approx. 897 gallons! You would need a chiller that could handle that volume, because using ice for a tank that big is just not a good idea. For the waterfall, maybe one of those preformed ponds set in a frame above the tank, with the chiller pulling water from one end of the tank via a hose, filtering the water, and then dumping it back into the tank.

As far as obtaining the fish, I had no luck there. I would imagine you would have to do it the old fashioned way--catch them.

Conclusion--This would be a good pond project, but perhaps a little too big for the indoor hobbiest IMO.

Back
Top Bottom