Colisa lalia dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orca2013

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought male and female Colisa lalia and from first day i noticed that male Colisa is more resting on leavs and bottom than swimming around. I read a lot about this symptom on net and everybody said that their Colisa died in few days. Is there anything I can do for him? Im thinking of putting him down... :(

I think you would find more people willing to help if you used the common name, dwarf gourami.

We also need some more information such as tank size, stocking, parameters, water change schedule, specific symptoms and any other details that may help, including if they are in qt. thanks!

I change water and WC every wekend. Fish was sick from first day, it just lays on l gravel more tham it swems, it eats good...
Fish stocking
6 Paracheirodon innesi
2 Xiphophorus helleri lira
1 Crossocheilus siamensis Siamese algae eater
2 Trichogaster leeri
4 Otocinclus affinis
2 colisa lalia
2 Stiphodon sp.

Parameters? Tank size? Honestly, if this fish has been unwell since day 1 and you just purchased it, I would return it.

Parameters? Tank size? Honestly, if this fish has been unwell since day 1 and you just purchased it, I would return it.

25g
pH 6.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40
Alkalinity 5

I would return it too. But fwiw, these fish have a rep for being hard to keep. They often die for no apparent reason, and often from the symptoms you report. They need quiet tanks, loads of plants, both planted and floating, low current. It may be inbreeding causing this, but many of these fish simply don't do well for long. It's probably nothing you did, but there is not anything you can do at this point but return the fish, as it was ill when you got it.

Reactions: jlk
I cant return it to pet shop.
This fish is dying and suffering on the bottom of the tank.:(
Do u think I should put it down though Im not shure I could do that.

I think your fish has little chance of recovery. If you don't want it to suffer, you should euthanize it. I know it's not easy, the first time I had to do this I felt quite dreadful, sick to my stomach, though not to the point I threw up. Just queasy and sad.

But the fish was no longer suffering and after awhile I was just a bit sad, but I felt like I had saved the fish pain and misery. Clove oil is a fish anesthetic that is very safe, but like any anesthetic, you can overdose with it. This is the kindest way to euthanize fish.

Edit. The following site has the best advice and instructions for human euthanasia of fish.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-most-humane-way-to-euthanize-a-fish.htm

Back
Top Bottom