color changing pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lung Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, i have this female BN pleco, who changes color every 5-30 minutes, sometimes she is normal BN pleco color... But, when she changes back to "normal", She is a silvery-gray color with large black spots, black spots on the gray, and white on the black.I have no idea why she does it, but, well, she may be a new species of pleco...

It does not seem like stress, she has been in the tank for well over 6 months.All she does is change color, otherwise, she does normal pleco things (cleaning the tank...).She is VERY friendly and NEVER hides...So, i don't think it is stress...

Why would she be stressed???She lives in a large tank and eats frozen bloodworms...

Which tank is she in, who are the tankmates, and you're only feeding bloodworms? What are the tank parameters, pH, temperature, decorations and hiding places available?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Why would she be stressed???She lives in a large tank and eats frozen bloodworms...

Because bn plecos change color like that when they're stressed.. hate to be biased here.. can't help but forget your stocking. Would this pleco be in your main tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have no idea about the parameters, and, my list of tankmates is so long... And... the hiding places... I have: A 12 inch sunken submarine ornament, a bunch or honeycomb rocks and some rocks in the corner...

You don't test your water? Well, there's one problem. Given that the list of tankmates is so long....that's most likely another problem. I'm guessing this is your way overstocked tank with incompatible fish...which would be the major problem.

So you won't give us any useful information to help you. You don't know the parameters? Do you ever check them? Do you do water changes?

Not trying to be mean but based on previous posts you made if the pleco is in the main tank with everything that you've posted before he is without a doubt stressed from overstocking and fish that don't belong together in the same tank.

Color changing unless over time while going from jouvenile to adult or mating is almost always from stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Without all the insults and everything, I strongly suggest that you look up all the fish you have. Type in your stock to aqadvisor and see how stocked you are and all the red flags and work to correct it. Your current setup is stressful for the fish you have and it isn't fair for them to be put through that just because you think they look cool. Listen to the advice everyone on here has given you and please stop buying fish for awhile until you figure out what to do with the ones you have.

I doubt all of the bloodworms it eats helps the problem, their digestive system isn't designed to handle a lot of protein.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I doubt all of the bloodworms it eats helps the problem, their digestive system isn't designed to handle a lot of protein.

What should i feed it???

What should i feed it???

You're kidding right?? I'm not even going to answer that question. Maybe you should read your thread about the importance of research before you buy and spend tomorrow googling all of your fish, their specific requirements and how to properly stock a tank.

You're kidding right?? I'm not even going to answer that question. Maybe you should read your thread about the importance of research before you buy and spend tomorrow googling all of your fish, their specific requirements and how to properly stock a tank.

Oh look. The same answer I gave. Didn't you say you're a catfish expert...?

Back
Top Bottom