Columnaris Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the past 3 weeks, Ive two confirmed Columnaris deaths, and two unconfirmed deaths. Im pretty sure a Black Molly I bought from Petco introduced it, as it died 2 days after I bought it and was missing its tail with white fuzzy growth on its body :facepalm:

Anyway, I lost a cory over the weekend. His mouth got it and it progressed rapidly...over a 6 hour period!

After the confirmed death with my Cory, I did a 50% PWC twice in day (therefore changing 100% of the tank water) and added 1 heaping TB of aquarium salt per 5 gallon bucket going back in (46g tank). I also slowly worked the tank temp on 75 (down from 77) over a few days. I vacuumed the sand really good.

I was at my LFS today and bought Maracyn & Maracyn 2, just in case I have to treat the tank. However, everybody looks good and I dont want to, if I dont have to. Everything Ive heard about columnaris is that it spreads rapidly. I havent experienced that.

I havent had any other issues since. Is it possible that I dont need to treat with medication?

When my tank got bombed by columnaris, I noticed two sick fish one morning that were symptomatic. Immediately culled them, did a 50% water change, scrubbed the tank interior with a scrungie pad, refilled dosing with Prime and half-dose aquarium salt and the rest of the tank recovered. I did not use meds.

When my tank got bombed by columnaris, I noticed two sick fish one morning that were symptomatic. Immediately culled them, did a 50% water change, scrubbed the tank interior with a scrungie pad, refilled dosing with Prime and half-dose aquarium salt and the rest of the tank recovered. I did not use meds.

Awesome. I think my immediate 100% WC and addition of salt might have squelched the outbreak in my tank.

Im going to give it 1 more day. I even cut down on my feeding 50% the past few days.

Ok so I broke down the 10g hospital tank I had set up for my cory that died last saturday.

I rinsed out the tank real well, the decorations, the heater, the filter, and the thermometer I had in there. Is it safe to say that letting it air dry and sit for a 2-3 weeks will kill the columnaris that was in that tank (if any)? I just did a 25% PWC on my main tank and added a tablespoon per 5g going back in, man did my Cory complain about that!! He sat at the front glass going up and down and back and forth like he was cussing me out. I know they dont like salt, but hes going to have to tolerate it for a few more days so I can be sure this situation is under control.

On a side note, the water smelled real funky in the 10g hospital tank!! I dont know if it was the anti-biotics/anti-bacterials I had in there to treat the sick fish or what but it smelled kind of like a mix of coffee and poop..lol.

I'd keep the heat down for a couple weeks just to make sure it's gone.

Yeah, in my MT Its set to 75f and Im not changing it for at least a solid week.

The stuff that I took out of my QT, can I just air dry it and let it set for a few weeks and safely assume that any columnaris that was on it will be dead?

Back
Top Bottom