Columnaris that stubborn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youngfin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My tank

29 gal @ 73.5 F
0 ammonia
0 nitirite
30 nitrate

7 red eye tetra
8 zebra danio
1 dwarf gourami

Aqua Clear 50 hob

Three of my zebra fish appear to have columnaris. One has a sizable "cotton ball" on his mouth, another has a grayish-like ball on the mouth, and the last one has a thin white line on his mouth. All other fish are free of any defects in apperance and behavior. I began with water changes of 15% every other day with thourgh gravel vaccuming. I also began to add salt at 1 tbsp per 5 gal. Two weeks later and no change i purchased Primafix and dosed full strength for 7 days. Still nothing, so went out and got Maracyn dosed that at full strength for 10 days and still no results. Been over a month since i noticed the symtoms, to this day the three infected ones have almost the exact same appeareance described above and all still eat happily and school well. But what am i to do now? Why cant i kick this?

You need to properly kill it with gram-negative antibiotics because its a gram-negative infection. Pimafix is useless & maracyn is a gram-positive antibiotic. Continue with the low temps, aquarium salt & add a gram-negative antibiotic such as kanamycin (kanaplex) or minocycline (maracyn 2). Let us know how this works for you!

Back
Top Bottom