Columnaris ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowtech87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So last night I came home from work and was right about to feed my rasboras . When all of a sudden one of them did a barrel roll, this obviously glued my head to the tank for the next hour. I panicked and started doing water changes, over the past 12 hours I have done 2-20% water changes. Through watch him I noticed he had a little bit of white on his lip and forehead, he was twitching acting like he was trying to shake something off, and he was breathing rapidly. I thought it was ich all the symptoms matched, other than the fact that it wasn't little white dots it was more of a wispy film. So I read that turning the temp up to 86 would help to stop/ get rid of it. So I slowly started increasing the temp to 86. When I woke up this morning he was acting the same. I left for the gym and while there read about Columnaris and how raising the tank temp would increase the bacterias effect. By the time I got home he was dead. But I also read that it spreads fast and the other two rasbora seem fine. This is what he looks like.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454946167.575232.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454946178.574524.jpg

His gills were a bright reddish purple, and when I moved the gills to see inside there was a small amount of slim on them. After handling him for about 30 seconds his forehead detached from his body. This could just be do to him being small and delicate though but his bottom lip did seem to just wipe off. I have mystery snails and shrimp in this tank too so if I go med route it would need to be safe for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If other fish are showing symptoms, a good quick acting strong antibiotic is Kanamycin with the addition of Furan-2
The furan 2 is safe for Good bacteria, and plants. It gives a stronger 1 2 punch to the bacteria, which it looks like you may have the fast acting form of columnaris. I am not sure about the snails and shrimp, but they could always be removed temporarily during treatment.

Just went to lfs, they didn't have much of a selection so I grabbed the only thing that said they worked with inverts. Using primafix, and melafix one is for fungal the other is for bacteria so hopefully all goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh gawd i hate pet store people. Bad advice.....just wont work im afraid.
Thats not gonna stop any serious infection, especially columnaris.
Im suprised a "fish" store did not have any antibiotic?
You would be better off with some "fungus cure" from walmart, that at least has a slight chance of actually working. (its an antibiotic, NitroFurazone)

Back
Top Bottom