combining sponge and HOBs for discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking of combing filtration systems. I've got an Emperor 400 for my 75 gallon tank that will house discus. I was planning on adding an AC 500 (110). I am putting prefilters on both. Is there an advantage to adding sponge filters too? Should I just use the Emperor 400 and add a couple of sponge filters? Should I use the AC 500, the Emperor 400 and sponge filters? I know a lot of this is a matter of preference, and I tend to overdue filtration with my other tanks. I'm planning on making some flow diffusing devices for my 2 power filters so as to not stress the fish from too much current.

Much of the answer to this depends on the bioload. I combine sponge filters and HOBs on the heavier stocked of my discus tanks. I feel there are several advantages. 1. Sponge filters oxygenate the water which can easily be depleted in the high temps discus require. 2. You've always got a seeded sponge if you need to set up an additional tank.

HTH

AC is a sponge filter essentially. I don't see a traditional airlift sponge filter as a major addition to an already functioning system. I only use them when gentleness is required, or when trying to hyper-oxygenate, which your emporor already does.

I will likely have 8 adult discus in this tank. I will start with about 20 small juvies and sell the ones I don't like as mush to the LFS. Since it will be a barebottom tank, aesthetic aren't an issue.

In a discus tank (especially grow out tanks), sponge filters are the preferred filtration source. The reason being they can be easily cleaned with the daily water changes.

BrianNY said:
In a discus tank (especially grow out tanks), sponge filters are the preferred filtration source. The reason being they can be easily cleaned with the daily water changes.
I have been educated. Thank-you.

I have also read that strong currents stress the small discus too. I'm months away from getting any discus. I just want to get my act together before/if I make a move. If you read up on them a good bit, discus can seem intimidating to keep.

Back
Top Bottom