Combining Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cd5

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two 20 gallon saltwater tanks with 3 inch sand beds, corals, rock, and fish

I have a newly set up 65 gallon with overflow and sump

What do you think is the best way to tank all contents including sand from two tanks into big one

put all fish in one 5 gallon bucket with water 50/50 from both tanks. Same with corals. Then move sand, rock, water to new tank and fill(with new saltwater,premixed and aerated) to about 4 inches of top(depending on how much coral rock you have, and let circulate till the water clears. Check parameters and if they are fine, add your corals, cleaners, and fish , then finish filling to top. Be sure to add water that is the same temp as what's already in the tank.

If the process will take a long time, might want a heater and low yield powerhead in the bucket too...depends on time of course..

I was thinking of a similar transfer method, Tranfer rocks with coral to the bucket, the ones without coral just wash first then tranfer to the tank immediatly(tank already up and running), I going to put all fish in bucket except mean damsel (mean damsel will go in sump for a while), then I vacumm top layer of sand in both tanks, turn off sump pump in big tank, pour sand from both aquariums into big one and let them settle, then turn sump back on, then transfer fish and corals(will acclimate in plastic bags)

If the process will take a long time, might want a heater and low yield powerhead in the bucket too...depends on time of course..

Good idea that will buy me more time

The question I am struggling with is my damsel, He has been mean in his 20 gallon to any other fish(alone for along time)

I like the fish but I don't want him to kill my clowns and royal gamma and then I have to tear apart that big aquarium just to get him out

Even with putting him in last after the other fish settle and putting him in the sump which will probably stress him a little, I don't know if he will calm down

Any suggestions, he is the same size as my clowns and royal gamma

Thanks

Another question would it be cruel to put my damsel in the overflow, it is a mega overflow in allglass aquarium

Back
Top Bottom