combining tanks........ few Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This semester of school ends at the end of this month so it's almost time to get the new tank up and running(after i do all the other stuff my wife wants done to the house).

So my question is this......

The new tank is a 72 gallon bow front.
Currently I have 2 tanks a 10 and a 20.

Both of the other tanks are full of live rock and corals...... seriously full, I can't even hardly move anything around in the tanks..... So my question is this...

Together in those tanks(the 10 and 20), I have about 50 or so pounds of live rock. I have a tub in the garage that has about 20-30lbs in it of really flat plate pieces (been collecting them for months, just getting them when i find them). I am going to order a 60lb box of hirocks, and I think I can convince my wifey to let me spend a few hundred more on live rock for the tank. All together I wanted about 200lbs of rock in the tank.

Now, when I start the tank, I want to put all of the rock I am going to have in it in the tank before I fill it with water. That way, it will be much easier to get the shelf look Im going for and I won't have to get water all over the place moving rocks around. The problem is, I had planned on using the rocks from the 2 tanks I have now to aquascape the tank.

So, how would you go about getting the live rocks out of the tanks I have now while keeping the corals in the tanks happy? Is this possible?

I figured that when you get corals from the LFS they aren't in a scaped out tank and some times the corals sit there for a few months before they are ever sold and they are fine.
SO, would my corals be okay on the substrate or just with minimal rock in the tank until the new tank gets through cycling?
THEN, could I add all of the corals at the same time to the tank or would I have to do it slowly?

The most corals I ever added to the tanks at one time I have now is seven at one time to the 20 and nothing bad happened. Will I get any bad results from adding all of the corals at the same time? All of my corals are softies and LPS.

This is basically my delima for setting up my new tank.

How can I get all the rock out of my current tanks without upseting my corals? Is it even possible to do?

I have everything else pretty much figured out I'm just trying to figure out how to do this..........

Any advice anyone could give me would be a big help, I've got I would say 2 months before the first rock goes in so I am trying to make a plan for the move.

thanks in advance for any help!

Jason

could I add all of the corals at the same time to the tank or would I have to do it slowly
you would probably have to let the new tank cycle before you put any of the coral in. On another note you can put the new LR in the tank when you first start it without having to do anything to them (maybe a little cleaning). your corals will be fine in your old tanks without the rock

Is your coral glued or attached to your rock in any way?

The corals will be fine. I would wait longer though. Even if your tank has cycled, I'd wait at least 2-3 months before putting in the new tank! loseing all your corals cause of "new tank syndrome" would be a pretty crappy. Especially seeing you have so many.
Just my thoughts.....

Back
Top Bottom