Come help all sps reef lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm building an sps reef tank. I am debating on going bare bottom or not. I am leaning very much towards bare bottom but am confused about a few things.

Why is bb more benifical for sps tanks?

Will I be able to house enough pods for a dragonet without sand?

How do I create a solid rock structure that won't shift at all?

My flow would be created by the following
Return from a mag7
Mp10
Korillia 750
Korillia 1250

Is this enough flow for a tank like this? I already have those pumps

Will I get ammonia spikes after water changes? Some lfs guy said I would and I feel that he's talking out of his butt to be polite.

I would do a sand bed just for more area for pods to hang out in. I'd plant macro algae right into the sand bed as well as having macro in a fuge for them to colonize.

As for a solid rock structure, you could use locktight to keep them in place. In my 55, I put down egg crate for a stable foundation and put my sand ontop of it. This way it will not fall over if you have any fish in there that would dig or if a powerhead blows sand away and you don't notice. I personally don't glue my rocks, just stack them together and have had no issues.

If you cycle the tank there will be no ammonia spikes from water changes. I could only see nitrate issues without a sandbed. But I see no reason as to why you wouldn't put one down.

I would do a sand bed just for more area for pods to hang out in. I'd plant macro algae right into the sand bed as well as having macro in a fuge for them to colonize.

As for a solid rock structure, you could use locktight to keep them in place. In my 55, I put down egg crate for a stable foundation and put my sand ontop of it. This way it will not fall over if you have any fish in there that would dig or if a powerhead blows sand away and you don't notice. I personally don't glue my rocks, just stack them together and have had no issues.

If you cycle the tank there will be no ammonia spikes from water changes. I could only see nitrate issues without a sandbed. But I see no reason as to why you wouldn't put one down.

Well the reason iv found for not using a sand bed are, having the ability to remove all unate food and other dirbris. Also its for having high flow for sps tanks that way the sand doesn't get blown around. I am unsure on having a sand bed as you can see. I have a watchman pistol pair I would consider putting in however I'm going to have a snowflake eel and I would think the eel would kill them?

The eel would def eat them. They will consume anything they can fit in their mouth. Supposedly won't if they are well fed...but why chance it. If you want an eel in the tank, I would glue my rocks together.

I still think atleast some sand would be good for the reasons I already mentioned, but you could probably get away without one. I have no issue pulling out debris with a piece of airline tubing, though I don't do it often as there isn't much need.

Just put about an inch of sand in the tank. I like it just for reflectivity and looks mostly. it won't blow around after it settles in.
You are not going to have much (if any) detritus on the sand bed if you have a high flow tank.
What size tank is this?
You can create a solid rock structure by drilling and pegging the rock so it locks together. Buy a masonry bit and some acrylic rods (you can find them online).

well I guess ill step away from going bare bottom, I also decided that an eel + sps tank dont really go together beings the eel has poor eating habbits. kind of hard to keep your water super clean with a big eater like that.

The rocks from Fiji a regular twist bit works fine because they are really soft. The rock is porus as well so when u get throigj the suface it just kinda pops right in. I used hard airline tubing and put it between mine

Back
Top Bottom