come home to a house that is flooded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might think its his mistake but the company took responsibility so you are wrong.

Companies don't just settle if they don't think they are not at fault they will fight it.

Companies settle when they want to keep a good image or avoid a lawsuit over something ridiculous.

Big +1

These municipalities have plenty of money and would rather avoid any bad press than go to court, even if they feel they would win. He was in the wrong, they know it, but it isn't worth fighting over. Happy day for the OP.

The company was definitely at fault. They needed to tell everyone that they were cutting the power. I cannot believe that people see it any other way. However, the tank was waiting for something like this to happen. If it were a lightning strike, or some natural event that caused the power to go out, then he can only blame himself. Since it was the company that cut the power, it's their fault.

Well I guess your right when its a small amount and potential high court fees. But in general IMO I feel they only settle when they are wrong.

I just don't feel the ridicule is necessary. He learned his lesson and is trying to correct it. Just my two cents.

Ridicule isn't necessary, but I feel great distaste towards those who try to "stick it to the man" when it is completely wrong. The funny part is, the tank was designed to fail, and it did. He knew it would fail; he said he just didn't like the way it looked when done the correct way, if I recall correctly. That is all too familiar to something like, "I need a new car, so I think I'll just step right in front of this truck here."

Well I use solar panels and I can't bank my extra power it gets "recycled" into the grid and I get no money for them using my power so I don't feel bad for them at all lol yes it was a mistake but I would have reached deep into their pockets too congrats on the win

You might think its his mistake but the company took responsibility so you are wrong.

Companies don't just settle if they don't think they are not at fault they will fight it.

The problem is, court fee's are much more than $4500. Companies settle (EVEN IF THEY ARE TRULY NOT AT FAULT) because it is cheaper for them to pay the $4500 than it is to pay lawyers to go to court and win. Even if they win they wont get that money or time back, which is ridiculous in my opinion. If you take a company to court and you loose you should be the one paying the court fee's, but then again how do you collect on someone that probably doesn't have the money to pay for the fee's in the first place? I have seen many a company go bankrupt because of lawsuits that they tried to fight but ran out of money in the end and couldn't pay their lawyers anymore, where as John Doe didn't have to pay court fee's because he got some low life ambulance chaser that only gets paid if he wins.

I am still shocked and amazed that they gave you that much. If someone's cell phone stops working because AT&T turned off their towers to do some maintenance and that person lost a deal for $10,000,000 because they couldn't call the other party back does that make AT&T liable for that loss?

*off the soap box
as someone already pointed out this is beating a dead horse.

Back
Top Bottom