Comet is being odd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOZIE

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys I have 4 small comet goldfish in my 150L tank. All is well water feeding pattern etc. other then getting fat I am happy with my new friends. However I have noticed that one of the fish seems to like to come to the surface and almost have his complete head out of the water for a few seconds.

At first I thought it may require oxygen but I very much doubt this is the case as the others don't seem to struggle and he is not staying at the top just does his party bit and returns to the deep. He is the most active fish in the tank always darting about impossible to photo and never calms down.

There is no signs of aggression all very well fed and they seem to swim around together other then this one who is at 90mph all the time.

His dizzy swimming is not a concern but I want to know what the head of of water thing is about. Noticed it's worse a dinner time.

Can you please post your parameters and water change schedule? How long has this tank been running with fish? Filtration? Excessive erratic swimming is indicative of possible water quality issues and/or stress. Piping at the surface is indicative of water quality problems, stress and/or flukes.

150l is only about 40g and this is quite a few messy fish in a rather small tank. Commons/comets easily grow 12+ inches and are better suited to big tanks or preferably ponds environments. Some more information will help!

NO3 is nil
NO2 is nil
Ph is 7.2

The odd behaviour has stopped now. It was shortly after indri ducking fish in to the tank. All feeding and seem to be doing well.

I realise that I will need to upgrade my tank but at this stage with none of the fish being over 2 inches it seems fine.

I do water changes every 4 days on average.

NO3 is nil
NO2 is nil
Ph is 7.2

The odd behaviour has stopped now. It was shortly after indri ducking fish in to the tank. All feeding and seem to be doing well.

I realise that I will need to upgrade my tank but at this stage with none of the fish being over 2 inches it seems fine.

I do water changes every 4 days on average.

Every 4 days shoukd b okay. However, the thing wih goldfish needing bigger tanks isnt because they get to a whoppin two feet and leave twenty years if kep right, its the fact that they produce A TON of waste. 120 l is about 35 gallons. This is enough to keep one maybe two goldies for a few months..... Try upgrading to a minimum of 170 gallons (650 liters at minimum) or a pond. The odd behavior may be ammonia lvls. Or it could just be a broken fish. LOL jk. It could be bullied or not get as much food.

Back
Top Bottom