Coming back to fresh water...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angrycrab

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After being salt for the last 15 years, and 2 builds, I have moved to a new house. My kids want larger fish and I really cant go over 90g to accomdate the larger variety of saltwater fish. After going to the LFS yesterday, I decided to maybe reconsider fresh water. I had silver dollars a long time ago, and really like them.

I am still looking at tanks, I think I am going to give acrylic a while for the first time too. Does it makes sense to have a reef ready tank in fresh water? I mean in terms of being pre drilled. I am trying to set this thing up so there is nothing on the exterior of the tank. I want everything underneath the tank.

I will take any advice or suggestions I can get =)

After being salt for the last 15 years, and 2 builds, I have moved to a new house. My kids want larger fish and I really cant go over 90g to accomdate the larger variety of saltwater fish. After going to the LFS yesterday, I decided to maybe reconsider fresh water. I had silver dollars a long time ago, and really like them.
I think Silver Dollars are pretty large ie: they need a large tank...

Does it makes sense to have a reef ready tank in fresh water? I mean in terms of being pre drilled. I am trying to set this thing up so there is nothing on the exterior of the tank. I want everything underneath the tank.

This is an interesting question...look forward to hearing replies to this :)

I think Silver Dollars are pretty large ie: they need a large tank...

This is an interesting question...look forward to hearing replies to this :)

I had them in 29g back in the day for years, I mean not ideal I know, but 90g should be more then ok right?

Good deal. 90g will be a good sized FW tank. I have a 55 and love it.

Angrycrab said:
]I am still looking at tanks, I think I am going to give acrylic a while for the first time too. Does it makes sense to have a reef ready tank in fresh water? I mean in terms of being pre drilled. I am trying to set this thing up so there is nothing on the exterior of the tank. I want everything underneath the tank.

I have an old, solid glass tank. I use 2 HOB filters and have a "custom" air stone setup. Any tank would be fine I believe. I say save money where you can and use what you can from your current setup.

Welcome to AA! :)

If you have any desire (or possible future desire) for plants, the SDs may not be a good idea. A 90G would be plenty big enough for a small school of them though.

Reef ready tanks really should be called sump ready, they work just fine for FW. If you want a clean look with added water volume, it's always a good idea IMO.

I had them in 29g back in the day for years, I mean not ideal I know, but 90g should be more then ok right?

Ah...I didn't realize you were going for something around that size, just that you wouldn't be going over that size :)

I would imagine 90g would be a great size for SDs.

I'm still interested about your idea of using a SW ready tank for FW....are you future proofing yourself for a possible change sometime, or is it for purely aesthetic reasons?

Last edited:
Ah...I didn't realize you were going for something around that size, just that you wouldn't be going over that size :)

I would imagine 90g would be a great size for SDs.

I'm still interested about your idea of using a SW ready tank for FW....are you future proofing yourself for a possible upgrade sometime, or is it for purely aesthetic reasons?

90% Aesthetic, 10% Backup plan.

I have zero intrest in plants, so that wont be an issue.

Does it makes sense to have a reef ready tank in fresh water? I mean in terms of being pre drilled. I am trying to set this thing up so there is nothing on the exterior of the tank. I want everything underneath the tank.

Quick answer, yes.

Having a sump will allow you to put the heaters and filters and such underneath out of view for a nicer looking display tank, and some of the same concepts apply to FW too, more water means your system can handle accidental contamination (dropped drink in the tank etc). Also if you decide to get into plants for filtration/fish food you're ready to add a refugium without a lot of extra plumbing.

Reactions: HN1

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom