Common pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riley

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had this pleco quit some time now with 2 oscars and 2 parrotfish.. BUT heres my question! Its turning white! I will post a pic soon of it.. Very weird

Heres da pic... 15 character limit

Attachments

• image-1796356344.jpg
    image-1796356344.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 130
And i know it isnt the oscars stressn it they have been together 6+ months and its like the oscars dont evn notice or care about it that and he has no nips or chunks of fin missin

Sometimes pleco's get this, my mom's did and it was no harm but wait for an expert to conferm

Is that a Sailfin Pleco? I have one and it has done the same, though I have had it less time. Like yours mine has those same white bands. Still acts like normal. Im wondering the same thing, your not alone

When i bought it im pretty sure it was labeld common pleco but i may be wrong since it was so long ago. It really just started to happen a week ago..

I've seen those bands on many a "common pleco" - they come and go. I'm sure someone knows more about this, so hopefully they'll chime in. they could be related to mood, territoriality, camouflage (really - most "plecos" come from fast moving rivers so this could look like the ripples of sunlight on a river bottom), or something else entirely.

Don't worry, your fish will not "lose all his spots" or get whiter and whiter. Come to think of it, it's been a long time since I had a pleco - I don't recall seeing those bands when they were really young, but they might have started showing up at a certain size.

so the long and short of it is - nothing to worry about - but I'd be interested to know what function ichthyologists think they serve.

The gravel is fairly large. And the only new light is the new bulb i had to replace.. Everythings been the same for a few months

Back
Top Bottom