Community Dynamics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The last few weeks have been some of the most fun watching my tank. I recently had to merge the stock of two tanks into my 55, which meant getting rid of some fish :( After much thought, I decided on which of four angels to keep and two of three kinds of tetras. I couldn't be happier with my choices.

The two angels I gave away were beautiful fish, but I decided on them because the one was always very aggressive towards it's tankmates. It's appearent now that his attitude was effecting the behavior of the whole tank.

My black skirt tetras are like new fish! I don't know if it's due to being with more peaceful angels or from the addition of the lemons. All of a sudden they have developed a personality that they didn't have with the mean angel. They play tag with the lemons, "pick on" the angels, and are right there at the surface when the feeding jar makes an appearance.

The bn, too. I gave up my common finally and now the bn spends much more time our in the open.

I find it interesting how much of a difference the attitude of one or two fish can make. Too bad we can't give them personality tests at the lfs!

LOL. Yes, very true. When my keyhole cichlids mated ands had young, I kept four and gave the rest away to freinds and lfs. They grew up very timidly, always hiding behind plants and rocks, seemingly afraid of the bigger world, including me.

Now, after adding 2 rams and some tetras and platies whoa are all active fish, the keys come out more and seem to enjoy the busy attitude of their tankmates. It's like their true character was submerged, until I gave them peaceful buddies who kinda encouraged more open-tank swimming and exploring.

Its good to hear that you experienced the same thing. It seems that one fish with a mean personality will try to bully the rest of the fish. It reminds me of a schoolyard really. I know that sounds silly, but it really does, as fish with differrent characters and personalities interact in an otherwise alien environment, the community aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom