Community stock with damsels? Would this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuOD

Aquarium Advice Freak
How does this list look:

3 damselfish
2 percula or oellaris clown fish
1 blenny
2-3 gobies
7-8 bluegreen chromis (can I have 10?)
2-3 cleaner shrimp
snails and hermits
2 starfish
blue/hippo/PBT tang
yellow tang

125g, 4x2x2, skimmer, fluval fx5 filter, 2x seio 820 (total 2600gph flow incl filter), 260w lighting, 2 heaters, 130 lbs base rock, 30 lbs live rock (more to be added)[/code]

I think that will be way too many fish.
What kind of damsels? Really, I would skip those, they can become very agressive.
I would only go with 1 maybe 2 gobys.
Chromis, go for an odd number.
I like variety, maybe a cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp.
Stars need a well established tank. I would wait for 6-12 months, depending on what type.
Tang, seem to be ich magnets. I think that combo might be a recipe for disaster, as the yellow will probably go after the Blue, unless you add them at the same time....

Thanks. I do really like the look of Tangs and I think damselfish look quite nice too that's why I was hoping to keep them.

What fish would the damselfish cause problems with?? Maybe I could remove the weaker fihs that the damselfish wold bother

I'll only go for 5/7 cromis.

Possibly these:
2 percula or oellaris clown fish (these might be ok)
1 blenny
2-3 gobies
I'm not too sure about the tangs.
With damsels, there is no guarantee. What specific ones are you looking at? It's kind of hard to judge. Check out liveaquaria.com and look up the critters on your list and give us more specifice fish, like yellow watchman goby. That might make it easier for us to identify and possible problems.

GuOD said:
How does this list look:

3 damselfish
2 percula or oellaris clown fish
1 blenny
2-3 gobies
2-3 cleaner shrimp
snails and hermits
2 starfish
blue/hippo/PBT tang
yellow tang

125g, 4x2x2, skimmer, fluval fx5 filter, 2x seio 820 (total 2600gph flow incl filter), 260w lighting, 2 heaters, 130 lbs base rock, 30 lbs live rock (more to be added)[/code]

Fish load looks fine to me. As long as you have a quality filter system and skimmer, you'd be surprised at what you can get away with and still have a healthy system. The damsels always seem to be a cause for concern, but I personally find their bad reputation based on a few bad apples in the bunch. My favorites would be Chrysiptera cyanea, Chrysiptera talboti, Amblyglyphidodon aureus, and/or Chrysiptera hemicyanea. Which blenny are you considering? I would go with ol faithful, Salarias fasciatus. As far as 2-3 gobies, it depends on the sp. I would go with either Ptereleotris zebra, Gobiodon sp, or Nemateleotris sp. I take it by blue tang you mean the atlantic, Acanthurus coeruleus? I ask because Paracanthurus hepatus goes by both "blue" and "hippo" tang. The Hippo, Paracanthurus hepatus, is the better overall choice even though it can reach up to 12in. Powder Blue Tangs and Powder Brown Tangs tend to give less leeway carewise. Ever thought about dwarf angels? I would go with this stocking list if I were you, which I'm not :p

x3: Amblyglyphidodon aureus or Chrysiptera hemicyanea
x2: percs or ocellaris
x1: Salarias fasciatus
x3: Nemateleotris sp.
x9: chromis
x1: Paracanthurus hepatus
x1: Yellow Tang

Back
Top Bottom