Would a clown pleco in a 20g long with this stock work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I went to my lfs the other day and they had these really cute pleco plushies with suction cup mouths. I bought a "royal pleco" plus because I figured I'd never have a pleco due to their monster soze and profuse pooping habit. However, a few people on reddit gave me some suggestions and now I'm a little curious.

So, nothing is in the tank now because it's cycling, but I have the cories purchased. Here's the planned stock for the 20g long.

X11 corydoras habrosus
X10-15 celestial pearl danios (someone suggest a good number for me haha)
X1 bamboo shrimp
X1 nerite snail
X1 or maybe x2 mystery snails
X20+ red cherry shrimp

This is a planted tank with rocks of various size, and a small pieceof driftwood. It looks like spider wood to me. Is that okay for a pleco?

I tried to do a little research but I don't know anything really about plecos. The 2 I was looking at are the clown pleco and the L129 pleco (I think, sometimes called chocolate?) I want something that will stay 4-5 inches or smaller, not eat my plants and not terrorize my smaller fish. The cories are just as big as the RCS!

I already have purchased a "pleco cave" with the intention of it being a little hidey hole for my bamboo shrimp, and another little cave thing so that shouldn't be a problem.

My lfs sells both the clown and the L129 so that's not a problem. I plan on keeping the tank around 74/75F. The filter I'm using is a fluval c2, but I might need a little extra oomph for a pleco, right...? These two types are omnivores I believe, which is fine.

Please give me advice on small plecos and your experience with them! I'm still on the fence with this.

I *think* you could add a clown pleco. Would be pretty heavy on the bioload though. If you ask me, I'd cut the CPD's down to 7 or 8 just to take the bioload down a bit. But I'm by no means an expert, hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in!

It seems like the L129 stays smaller, like 2.8 inches or so, says the internet. It also seems like that guy won't terrorize my plants either! They're a little spendier than the clowns, but they might be more suited for my smaller-sized stock.

Any pleco experts around?

I might cut back on the CPS, I just wanted them to be the focal point :)

Back
Top Bottom