comparability ... cories/ scavengers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so I have a 20g extra high (base dimensions of a 10g, just 2x taller)

I currently use it for a fry tank for my live breeders . I am looking for a scavenger. are there any cories that can live with fry and in that type of tank?
what about shrimp?
I'm open for any suggestions

I run an aqua clear 50 and tetra 10-15g filter

I would imagine just about any cory would be okay with fry. I have peppered and pygmy corys with my red cherry shrimp and they don't bother the shrimplets. Obviously with a small footprint, you want to go for a small species.

Not sure if amano shrimp might be good for the tank, but don't do ghost shrimp, they will snatch and consume the fry.

Habrosus cories would be perfect. The footprint of the tank is too small for anything bigger. Shrimp would work fine as well. RCS are great reproducers and quite hardy.

Oto's are algae eaters. They don't scavenge for leftovers and stuff like that.

On that note, if you go with some cories, don't depend on leftovers alone to feed them. Make sure to give them sinking wafters/pellets as well.

I got 3 julii cories(I can't remember spelling or exact but its close to that)

and I will definitely give them food .. I has lots of NLS waffers and a different type of sinking carnivorous pellets that I feed my coolie loaches in my other tank :)

these little guys are so neat, I've never had cories before buy wanted some for a long time. they seem happy and comfortable :)

IMO the footprint of the tank is far too small for julii's. I keep them in my 29 gal and they are 2-2.5", are quite plump, and very active.

yup I know that now.. I am thinking about moving them to my 60g hex tank.. but I'm not sure if that's their cup of tea either.. its planted and has a bunch of driftwood. but has a sand bed in the front which I know they would like ...

but I do have 7 khuli loaches in there and a bn pleco... and my stocking is already pushing its limits to the word of overstocked. but currently I'm running a 305 and a 406 fluval filters ... thinking about playing musical filters and put and fx5 in there for a filter .. since Imit would benefit my goldfish tank to have the 305 and I can exchange the 406 for a fx5 if I pay the extra $45

Your 60 gal should be able to accommodate a group of kuhlis and julii's..definitely if those are the only bottom dwellers in there.

Look for the "dwarf" cories which are the Habrosus. The "pygmy"(Pygmaeus) and the Hastatus are much more shy, and they shoal mid tank..not on the bottom like a typical cory. So all three of these types work great for a tank this size, but if you want a typical bottom dweller, you want the Habrosus.

Your 60 gal should be able to accommodate a group of kuhlis and julii's..definitely if those are the only bottom dwellers in there.

Look for the "dwarf" cories which are the Habrosus. The "pygmy"(Pygmaeus) and the Hastatus are much more shy, and they shoal mid tank..not on the bottom like a typical cory. So all three of these types work great for a tank this size, but if you want a typical bottom dweller, you want the Habrosus.

interesting.. thanks for the information :)

Back
Top Bottom