Comparing Cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBinimbul

Aquarium Advice Freak
After doing my preliminary water tests, I've determined that pepper cories are sadly unsuitable for my tank. My water is too alkaline, too hard and too warm. That said, I still want cories and have narrowed down the species to what would suit my parameters, but I wanted to get some opinions from you guys.

I'm going to be housing endlers and RCS in a 20g long. It will be moderately planted with black sand substrate. I'm wanting to get between 5 and 8 cories who will be fun to watch, enjoy each other and their tank mates. They don't need to be super active, but a very fearful, nervous or easily stressed species is not ideal. I also want something more affordable and easier to have my LFS obtain for me.

The two species I'm considering the most are Corydoras sterbai (Sterba's), and Corydoras julii/leopardus (Julii).

I know that the latter are often actually mislabeled trilineatus, which would be an unfortunate mistake, as they would not like my pH or hardness.

What do you guys recommend?

Bronze/albino cories. Scientific name would be Corydoras aeneus. Not the most exciting visually but are super, super hardy.

Everything I see about the bronze cories suggests that they prefer a pH maxed at 7. My tests were 7.8. They also seem to be shy?

If you get them from a local source, it's likely that the pH will be similar to yours and not really matter. Most fish today can adapt to pH pretty well anyway. I've definitely never heard about them being shy.

Do they not require more like 30 gallons since they can be 3"?

I would be having my LFS order whatever it is I'm getting, so I have no idea if they would be acclimated to our water.

Planet Catfish is showing them at 6.5-7.5 pH. I'll definitely consider them if my water hardness isn't a problem for them. Though I do prefer the look of sterbai or julii. Ultimately, I want to go with the best species for my setup so that I don't stress them unnecessarily!

Seriously Fish (the best database IMO) suggests the minimum sized tank to be 80x30 cm which would roughly translate to a 20 long. I'd recommend them for a 20 long anyway.

I wouldn't be worried about a 7.8 pH. Fish adapt. Drip acclimate them before adding them to your tank. My friend has cories as we speak in 8.2 pH. It would be better to take a look at your TDS/kh and gh.

I plan on getting a hardness test kit. Is there one you would recommend? I know that the water here is moderately hard. From what I've read, sterbai and julii also tend to be more tolerant of the harder waters.

I use API. You can buy kh and gh test bottles on Amazon. I got a high pH of 8.4 my TDS is moderate. I keep several fish who technically require no more than 7.0 to 7.5 pH with no problems. I don't believe pH is the be all end all in fish keeping.

In my opinion tds is more important than ph. I have albino aeneus, not shy. I had them in Tulsa with moderate water from a tds perspective at170-190 and ph at 8.

When I moved to topeka Kansas my ph is 9, tds of over 500. They survived that move. I have ro now have them back at 80 degrees and 150 tds or so and a ph of 6.5.

My experience, not shy, very hardy

Would the api gh/kh test be sufficient for testing TDS? Or should I just get a straight forward gpg hardness test?

API gh and kh test measure those variables, carbonate, calcium, and magnesium. Tds is a measure of everything that is a solid, organic or inorganic.

The api tests are great for understanding those specifics. Tds, is quick and dirty, dip the pen, measure the result

Back
Top Bottom