compatability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
My classroom tank is cycled and ready. I already have 2 Jack Dempsey's, both are about 2 1/2 inches.... not my favorites but they were headed for certain demise so I couldn't turn my back on them:(. I know these guys get big so I will ultimately have to rehome them, but I have time to find a suitable home. I'm sure this has been posted before but any suggestions on tank mates that won't grow too large?
Oops, I meant to spell compatibility.

ive read raphael cats are fine with most fish because of there spikes. and there adorable but ya hardly ever see tehm. how big is the tank?

29g. If I'm not mistaken these are African cichlids right? I know they're aggressive, but can't they be mixed with a more colorful AC?

Oh, ok. I know I don't have the tank for them, as I mentioned they will definatly have to be rehomed. Just looking for another type of cichlid to put with them that will be safe for now.

Oh, ok. I know I don't have the tank for them, as I mentioned they will definatly have to be rehomed. Just looking for another type of cichlid to put with them that will be safe for now.

Oh, my bad. I did not read the whole question. I think my brain just kinda stopped after reading jack dempsey in your post :D

Rams, apistos, keyholes, or a single angel and then in a community would all work.

yeah, I know I'm limited with my size tank, I was just wondering about the cichlids that don't grow too large.

Maybe you should wait on building a community for now. The jd's will grow in size and attitude, so IMO, it would be best to stick with a bnp or something until the jd get re-homed. Your tank will still look nice, but it would be safer to wait. Rams, apisto, or keyhole would work. So would shell dwellers, but you have the potential of having issues suddenly when the jd's get bigger. Juvy fish can get along swimmingly (lol) with tankmates and then suddenly have issues as they mature.

I've heard that the JD's can be really nasty to tankmates. I'm anxious to find a good home for the little devils;)

Right now my center piece fish is a DG. He's really great and active, but I would like one more fish. Would he be compatible with an angel? He doesn't bother the neons or the cory at all, but would he be territorial of another mid level his size? What other options do I have?

Reygan2 said:
Right now my center piece fish is a DG. He's really great and active, but I would like one more fish. Would he be compatible with an angel? He doesn't bother the neons or the cory at all, but would he be territorial of another mid level his size? What other options do I have?

Don't see anything wrong with an angel and gourami together.

He would be compatible with an angel, but an angel would quite likely eat your neons. Some people say they have success keeping the species together when they start out with a juvenile angel, but that plan still backfires most of the time.

Well I finally took the plunge and bought an angel yesterday for my home tank. It's about the size of a quarter, so I have plenty of time to get the larger tank I'll eventually move him to. My DG is used to being the big hauncho (sp?) so this has upset his world a little. They have thoroughly checked each other out and there has been no aggression at all so far. I filled out my BNT school, which was really funny because the 3 new ones are smaller than the ones already in there, and the little black neons followed the neon tetra's around the tank all evening. Now they all kind of stick together in the same side of the tank. The angel and DG seem to get along fine. I couldn't find any more panda corys, so I bought 2 peppered cory's. I hope to find some pandas soon. I sure hope the harmony lasts.

Attachments

• newangel 003.jpg
    newangel 003.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 63
  • newangel 005.jpg
    newangel 005.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 57
  • newangel 007.jpg
    newangel 007.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 62
well, he's not half the size of my DG, but he sure is holding his own. I was concerned about the two getting along, but the little angel isn't the slightest bit intimidated by DG. He's a fiesty little thing. I'm in love...my first angel:)

well, he's not half the size of my DG, but he sure is holding his own. I was concerned about the two getting along, but the little angel isn't the slightest bit intimidated by DG. He's a fiesty little thing. I'm in love...my first angel:)
Yeah, I adore all my guys. Its a lot of fun to see them grow into gorgeous, graceful creatures from the tiny little coin-sized buggers. Glad to hear he is doing fine with the DG. Never kept a gourami myself, but I have always heard that gouramis and angels typically do great together.

Back
Top Bottom