Compatibility Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bitman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
55 gallon tank, with live plants.
stocking now: all fish are 2" to 2-1/2" long.
2 electric blue acara
2 kribinsis
3 angel rams
2 convicts

The convicts have mated, and become very aggresive to the other fish.
Probably going to remove them. Need suggestions for a couple cichlids that would be compatible with the rest of my fish.
Thanks.

*facepalms hard enough to break nose*

Ok. First, you've mixed fish from different continents. This isn't advisable. The Kribs are african and shouldn't be mixed with the rest. Also, the Angels and Acara are South American, while the Convicts are Central American. This is a much smaller difference than the American and African comparison, but it still affects things. I would remove the Kribs, since they don't fit with the rest of your fish.

Also, think temperaments. Angels arent too mean, Convicts can be terribly aggressive especially during spawning. Acarsa are in the middle. I would suggest removing your Angels as well as Kribs.

A pair of Acara with a Pair of Convits should work alright in that tank. Otherwise, you are shoving fish that are very different into close quarters.

Regarding the mating Cons; they will be aggressive in any circumstance. Most cichlids are. They all live in a very cutthroat world. What would you do if your neighbors had every intention of devouring your children?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I would stick to just the Acara and Convicts. Nothing else but maybe a Pleco or a type of catfish, like a Syno.

Even better, start with a clean slate.

Ok. First, you've mixed fish from different continents. This isn't advisable. The Kribs are african and shouldn't be mixed with the rest. Also, the Angels and Acara are South American, while the Convicts are Central American. This is a much smaller difference than the American and African comparison, but it still affects things. I would remove the Kribs, since they don't fit with the rest of your fish.

Also, think temperaments. Angels arent too mean, Convicts can be terribly aggressive especially during spawning. Acarsa are in the middle. I would suggest removing your Angels as well as Kribs.

A pair of Acara with a Pair of Convits should work alright in that tank. Otherwise, you are shoving fish that are very different into close quarters.

Regarding the mating Cons; they will be aggressive in any circumstance. Most cichlids are. They all live in a very cutthroat world. What would you do if your neighbors had every intention of devouring your children?

Good advice right here!

Thanks for the advice.
I'll rethink my stocking options.

Angel Ram = Balloon Ram. Just pointing that out.

Ohhhh i though that he meant Angels, not a type of Ram. Either way it shouldn't be in that tank and it has close to the same temperament as a real Angel. It is also very small, which is another reason for it not to be there.

Back
Top Bottom