Compatibility lists somewhere?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bzzh8c

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking at stocking my new cichlid tank from livefishdirect and am getting lost on all the "suggested tank mates" comments. Most heavily stocked tanks I see online must have 10-15 different species in there. How does one define a list of 10-15 different species that will do this using guidelines that usually make mention of 2 or 3 compatibles?

Also when buying unsexed online, getting 2 or 3 in hopes of at least 1 being a male seems to risk getting 3 males (is that always a problem?) or 3 females (possibly boring).

Here's what I have selected so far, and have 30 fish in my "cart", because I'd like to have 6+ yellow labs (wife's request)

German Red Peacock Cichlid, Lemon Jake Peacock, Firefish Peacock
OB Peacock, Sunburst, Azureus Cichlid, Electric Yellow Cichlid

Thanks for the input (which I know may be directions to a previous post),

Todd

There is really no such thing as compatibility lists.

It depends on many things including the size of the tank and the number of fish.

All of the peacocks should be compatible given the right number of fish.

We can help you with potential stock list if we know the size of the tank.

My advice when buying peacocks is to buy them after they are big enough to be sexed and just buy only males. The individual cost per fish will be higher but you only have to buy 1 and then you will not have to deal with all the females. There are plenty of sellers that specialize in African cichlids and can help you get exactly what you want.

read the chart its all there
All the fish he is looking at fall under one category on the chart called "Malawian cichlids". Since it is not true that all Malawian cichlids are compatible the chart is at best inapplicable and at worst, plain wrong. Either way, it doesn't seem very useful to the OP.

Also, while it was a valiant attempt to provide a simple chart fish compatibility just doesn't work that way in the real world.

heres a better chart
aquarium-fish-compatible-with-african-cichlids.jpg

That is better but I would be cautious of using this one too.

It can serve as a starting point but you want to vet your ideas as the individual species within a genus can vary greatly in temperament and compatibility.

Hey dalto somewhere there is a cookie cutter sheet on Africans that goes by tank size. I have seen it posted here but its been a while since I seen it. It was a good beginner list of compatible fish.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey dalto somewhere there is a cookie cutter sheet on Africans that goes by tank size. I have seen it posted here but its been a while since I seen it. It was a good beginner list of compatible fish.

These them?

Yep mine is a link from the link you posted. Lol. But lm not an African guy so you will have to look at it and see if its any good

Back
Top Bottom