Compatibility of these fish and any fish suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ElaineSelene

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have all the supplies I need for a tropical aquarium.

I know how to cycle the tank/set it up/etc.

I have all the plants and decorations to set it up with plenty of hiding spots and caves.

(I have three tanks available. 10 gallon, 20 gallon long, and 35 gallon...)

What I'm asking right now is what fish that I have listed below are compatible? (Similar temperaments, food & water requirements, and will basically just be able to live together well.)

Mainly interested in these (In groups by possible combinations I'm interested in like I listed below. Really not too picky!):

With all possible groups:

1. Pink Ramshorn Snails (at most 3 - very interested in these!)
  2. Ghost Glass Catfish (Fairly interested)
Tetra Group: (Most interested in these!)

1. Von Rio Flame Tetras
  2. Long Finned Blushing Skirt Tetras
Other Group: (2nd best choices.)

1. Cherry Barbs / Gold Barbs
  2. Rasbora Brigittae
Maybe: (Not very interested but still possible.)

1. Ghost Shrimp

Basically I want fairly inexpensive fish that I can get at a Petsmart or Petco.

As for getting other suggestions:
I'm interested in either clear / glass / transparent fish or red colored fish.

Right now I'm just looking for what will be compatible in terms of getting along together / temperament and in terms of feeding / water needs...
Once I know which fish I'll look into how many of each and any other special care needs.

The tank choices I have (I already own) are 10, 20 gallon long, or a 35 gallon.

Thanks soo much!
-Elaine Selene

Hi, firstly are you sure you would like ramshorn snails? These are considered pests. The main reasons is that they eat plants and shrimp food. You can still get them if you want but don't keep them with the ghost shrimp.

Moving on the glass catfish/ ghost grows to about 10cm and they are shoaling fish. So you will need to get at least 4 of them. The bigger the shoal the better they look IMO. So I think these would be better in the larger tank. This means you can get more for a bigger shoal.

The tetra shoal will be fine in basically any of the tanks with any of the fish. Just make sure if they are around the same size as neon tetras they are in the tank first and you get the glass catfish and orange barb small.

What I would do with the smallest tank is put a male betta in there. Then get a shoal of about 10 neons or the other small shoaling fish you mentioned like harlequin rasboras. Then have some of the snails in their.

I tried doing this in one go so sorry if I missed anything if so I will write another response.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For the 35 gallon I would recommend some of the skirt tetras and rio flame tetras with a centrepiece fish.

This could be something like 4 or so angelfish they have massive variety and are quite cheap.

If you do not like them you could get some gourami pairs. Species that I think look good include, gold gourami, 3 spot gourami and my personal favourite the pearl gourami.

I will leave the middle sized tank for your imagination. Hope this helps

Hi, firstly are you sure you would like ramshorn snails? These are considered pests. The main reasons is that they eat plants and shrimp food. You can still get them if you want but don't keep them with the ghost shrimp.

Moving on the glass catfish/ ghost grows to about 10cm and they are shoaling fish. So you will need to get at least 4 of them. The bigger the shoal the better they look IMO. So I think these would be better in the larger tank. This means you can get more for a bigger shoal.

The tetra shoal will be fine in basically any of the tanks with any of the fish. Just make sure if they are around the same size as neon tetras they are in the tank first and you get the glass catfish and orange barb small.

What I would do with the smallest tank is put a male betta in there. Then get a shoal of about 10 neons or the other small shoaling fish you mentioned like harlequin rasboras. Then have some of the snails in their.

I tried doing this in one go so sorry if I missed anything if so I will write another response.

I only wanted ramshorns because they seem to be the only ones I could find in pink/red... Hmm... I'll have to think about that though! Thanks!

I think the catfish is out of the question now. Hahaha.

I only want to set up one of the tanks and sell the other two... I am inclined to ask how many of the tetras (I want some of both the Rio and the Skirt) would go in the 10? I'd prefer to use the 10 since I am setting this tank up on my bedstand. :) I already have three 55 gallon tanks with goldfish and a 30 gallon with an axolotl. This is just a little project with supplies I already own + the new fish.

Thanks soo much!!! :)

For the 35 gallon I would recommend some of the skirt tetras and rio flame tetras with a centrepiece fish.

This could be something like 4 or so angelfish they have massive variety and are quite cheap.

If you do not like them you could get some gourami pairs. Species that I think look good include, gold gourami, 3 spot gourami and my personal favourite the pearl gourami.

I will leave the middle sized tank for your imagination. Hope this helps

With the info from you... I was thinking / hoping to maybe get some of both tetras into the 10 gallon instead (skip the others). The tank is only going on my bedstand. I'd rather use my smallest tank so it takes up the least room. Haha.

Yer I know what you mean. Asking if I can have any other tanks in the family rooms it was a straight away no. So I now have 3 tanks in my bedroom :)

You could have 4 of each tetra in the 10 gallon and some ghost shrimp for the bottom feeder. That would look nice.

I currently have an empty 20 gallon long tank and 2 male betas in separate 1/2 gallon tanks. What other species could I put in the 20 gallon tank with one of them? I too am looking for red, white, or black colored fishes.

Check out Nerite Snails!!! Here is a picture of my "Ladybug" I have three like her. They have little black dots on them. Love em! You can find many different colorations of Nerite Snails at Petsmart. ?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409986911.319452.jpg

Back
Top Bottom