compatibilty of Cleaner Shrimp and serpent star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prisoner1572

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a green serpent/brittle star. i am thinking about getting a cleaner shrimp as i have heard that they eat parasites off fish. Will it be safe with my star or will the star eat it. I feed the star a piece of a silverside once a week.

I've got two skunk cleaners in with my serpent star. No problems to report there. I am, however, missing a Nudibranch... :?

Green brittle stars would not be my first choice. They are increadibley opportunistic feeders. Anything that cannot get away or is caught "unaware" is a target.

If you like these kind of stars then I would suggest one of their smaller less obnoxious cousins. The black brittle or possibley a banded serpent star. There is still always the risk, but much less.

If you already have the green brittle, I would suggest supplimental feedng with raw marine meats like krill, siversides or shrimp. Keeping them fed can sometimes be all that is needed. Just be aware they do get quite large.

Cheers
Steve

I had two small clown fish vanish, one goby and 3 or 4 peppermint shrimp disappear before I figured out it was my innocent looking green star, The one I had was a killer, but only in the dark.

I have 3 skunk cleaners living happily with a green brittle star.
When I feed the star (every couple of days or so) the shrimp sometimes even try to steal the food from the star!
From my experience the star and the shrimp are both real characters - but, the REAL benefit in my tank from the star was how well he clears up all the fish and snail waste in the tank - it's amazing!

Back
Top Bottom