Compatible tank mates for a betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomCarter13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a small 15 gallon aquarium which houses one male betta fish. It is a bare bottom tank and the betta is doing really good in the tank actually. The tank has some river stones and some plants that i left floating and some that i wedged between rocks (i went bare bottom in my large fancy goldfish tank which was planted so moved the plants into hid tank).

He is a turquoise, blue, yellow, pupley super delta betta fish and i don't want to have something nip at his beautiful fins :)

I'm thinking of putting something like cory cats for the bottom? I've heard mixed opinions about guppies but i don't really want to have any of them. I don't really want tetra either. Haha i seem to be quite difficult about this but i mainly want bottom swimmers (corydoras) and i am just wondering if they would be okay in a bare bottom aswell as being okay with a betta?

If anyone has an onteresting suggestion please feel free to tell me :)

Also if anyone knows if it is okay to put a female with him then please let me know! I'm pretty sure you need at least 5 but i dont want that much haha :)

Thank you!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405419832.696056.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405420338.787982.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bettas will mix with most other community fish.

Just keep in mind that any fish that LOOK similar will get attacked.

So stuff like Guppies, Gourami's etc.. is a no no.

Also, it is obvious to stay away from fin-nippers such as Barbs, as Bettas are just a swimming buffet for them.

As far as females go.. It is really advisable to have a LOT of females for a single male.

I'm not sure it'd be worth it just for the sake of having more Bettas, sorry.

Also, it is obvious to stay away from fin-nippers such as Barbs, as Bettas are just a swimming buffet for them.

As far as females go.. It is really advisable to have a LOT of females for a single male.

Can I keep a female betta (if that helps) with mollies, guppies, gouramis and angels?

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Can I keep a female betta (if that helps) with mollies, guppies, gouramis and angels?

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Female Bettas are much more docile than the males..

The Mollies are definitely fine and so should the Guppies and Gourami's.

The only thing you'd have to look out for is the Angel, I've never kept Angels personally but I do know that they can get very nippy when in mating pairs.

If it's a long Angel you've got then they should get along fine.

Female Bettas are much more docile than the males..

The Mollies are definitely fine and so should the Guppies and Gourami's.

The only thing you'd have to look out for is the Angel, I've never kept Angels personally but I do know that they can get very nippy when in mating pairs.

If it's a long Angel you've got then they should get along fine.

I don't have a mating pair, just one tiny angelfish. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405442819.540052.jpg Could I still get a male? If he's subtle of course:p

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Yeah, i wont do that then :) i never wanted to get tetra or barbs anyway ( i really don't want to damage his fins).

I am still thinking about corydoras though and i'm just wondering how many adult corys would be okay in a 15 gallon bare bottom? If they are okay in a 15 gal bare bottom. :)

Out of curiosity...why no substrate in your tank?

Your tank is nice looking and your betta is beautiful.

Any who...cories are schooling fish and should be housed in a 30 gallon for optimal health and they like sand substrate, you don't want anything to harsh to damage their barbels

Okay, if there are any other type of algae eaters plz let me know! :) and i'll look into how to care etc...

I have a bare bottom because i had bred a pair of pearl gourami in that tank over a couple of months so i therefore had no substrate. I've left it this way because if i ever wanted to breed anything then it will just be easier for me to prepare the tank.

Then i sold off the pearls and i have never bred fish again so i just put a siamese fighter in there and left it like that :)

He is doing really great and the tank is soooo much easier to clean. I'm pretty sure have no gravel can prevent parasites growing in between the nooks and crannies of the gravel so yeah.

* if there are any other algae eaters/ bottom swimming fish that could go in my little betta tank plz let me know!

Yeah i just researched them! They look so cool! But are they suitable for a 15 gal? Gonna do some more research >;)

Or if you really like cory cats there are 3 dwarf species that work in smaller tanks. C. habrosus, c. pygmaeus, and c. hastatus. All stay around 1.5 in or less. They're good bottom scavengers but not algae eaters.

If you want an algae eater what about a nerite snail?

So i am going to purchase some otto cats very soon and i am wondering how many i should start with because i know that they are best kept in small schools but ho much is a small school?

I'm think 3-4 to start off with?!

Thank you!

Are you against nerites? My betta lives with two nerites and they are work horses.

Sent from my iPhone

No i just want fish instead of a snail

I wouldn't but any Oto's in there. They feed off of algae ONLY, and there looks to be no algae. They are also wild caught and very sensitive.

Cory cats are generally a good choice for bettas, but I am not sure I would put them in a bare bottom tank since they love to sift through substrates.

Have you looked at endlers at all? A group of them would probably work. Another option, since you don't want any tetras (which rules out A LOT of very nice options), would rasbora's work for you? There are some very pretty species, such as Chili, Pheonix, etc. Celestial Pearl Danios would be another species to consider.

The algae in my tank is growing on the corners and front face of my tank. There is also algae on my amazon swords and hair algae on my rocks. Otto catfish also eat a variety of veges and algae wafers. Therefore making them an ok tank member for my tank.

Back
Top Bottom