Compatible with serpae tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copachick

Aquarium Advice Freak
We had a bad experience with these guys and hurting our Platys. Our 5 serpaes now have their own tank. We are getting ready to move, and we are wondering what else can go with serpaes? Theyre going into the 29 gallon.
Any ideas? when we bought them we were told they were not aggressive. but all they do is chase each other non stop. Which is fine, but we arent subjecting them to our other fish.

What can go along with them that they wont hurt?

THAnks!:thanks:

The reason being aggressive is that there is not a big enough school, the bigger the school the less aggression. That's how it worked when my tetras nipped each other, I just filled out their schools. Other fast fish like black skirts, black widows, or some of the less aggressive ones like penguins and bloodfin and bleeding hearts can work. Or if you're looking for a different species, cories can fill out the bottom of the tank and zebra danios can fill out the top.

serpaes are nippy fish,the more you have the less they nip. thats why my 55 will soon have 10 black skirts

Yeah we didnt know that when we bought our 2 awhile back. It was so bad that for a day we had to take them out and we put them into a huge pot with a few plants. We only planned on going and getting a 10 gallon to put them in, but wound up getting a 36 gallon. After that we bought 3 more for a school of 5, and then 5 silver tips. They got along good. We ended up buying a 10 gallon for our Platy fry, but in the mean time we took out the serpaes and put them into the 10 gallon so we could move all my fish from our 29 gallon over to the 36 gallon. the 29g had a huge algae bloom issue we didnt catch in time. Its getting started over so we figure we will put the serpaes in that one, along with whatever else we buy

Thell always chase each other a bit it's fun to watch and harmless, IME columbian red fins work really well with them and they hang out in different levels of the tank, makes for a really good lookin tank, I love both my schools, got 10 columbians and 6 serpae, plan on gettin more serpae to fill in the bottom region a bit more, red tailed black shark works also with both schools, mine gives a 1 second chase once and s great while just adds to the excitement lol, makes a really good semi aggressive tank , good and fun for kids to watch

Back
Top Bottom