compatible with tiger barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bulalo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
20 gallon long tank planted right now i have 9 tiger barbs and i need a good cp fish if possible any ideas what i should get?

Mumma is right about being overstocked because my brother has 20G and only 3tiger barbs with like 3 or 4 small fishie but maybe silver dollar fish or something .

No other fish. Id say your stocked as well. But don't be disappointed! Tiger barbs are the coolest schooling fish!! (IMO)

I WOULD NOT recommend silver dollars for a 20 gallon. They will outgrow that tank as fast as you can say overstock.

As mentioned, I would add nothing to the tank. Not that it's too much bioload, it's that all the swimming room will be taken up by the tiger barbs and a lot of good CP fish for a 20 G will be ripped to shreds by them.

bruinsbro1997 said:
I WOULD NOT recommend silver dollars for a 20 gallon. They will outgrow that tank as fast as you can say overstock.

As mentioned, I would add nothing to the tank. Not that it's too much bioload, it's that all the swimming room will be taken up by the tiger barbs and a lot of good CP fish for a 20 G will be ripped to shreds by them.

Oh my bad my brother has some in his tank (small size for now) and they are doing fine. BTW I didn't know!

Fishie said:
Mumma is right about being overstocked because my brother has 20G and only 3tiger barbs with like 3 or 4 small fishie but maybe silver dollar fish or something .

No no no. Silver dollars get huge and need 30 gallons alone. They would prefer to be
Kept in schools of 6 at least so that option is out. Every fish will get wrecked by a school of tiger barbs.... I dont no if there are many options

Oh my bad my brother has some in his tank (small size for now) and they are doing fine. BTW I didn't know!

I hope he has plans to move them in the tank along with your BP and pleco.

No no no. Silver dollars get huge and need 30 gallons alone. They would prefer to be
Kept in schools of 6 at least so that option is out. Every fish will get wrecked by a school of tiger barbs.... I dont no if there are many options

More like 300 Gallons for a proper school plus other fish :nono:
:oops:
JKJK. Maybe 90 Gallons for a school of six.

There are certain fish you can keep with tiger barbs. Aggressive ones like cons, firemouths, and even serpae tetra and other schoolers will work with them. It's just that the case here is that there's no more room(y)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
How big is his tank and how many does he have in there?

20G and about 3 or 4 I think be got them last month or something.

Perhaps they aren't silver dollars. Are you sure they are? There's a lot of silver fish out there. If it's 3-4 I would move them in to your planned upgrade tank.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Perhaps they aren't silver dollars. Are you sure they are? There's a lot of silver fish out there. If it's 3-4 I would move them in to your planned upgrade tank.

I just checked (never go in his room) and they are pretty big POSITIVE they are silver dollars he wanted me to get some but I never liked them. They are kinda like a dollar (coin)

Mumma.of.two said:
Fishie - start another thread about the silver dollars so we don't hijack.

Ok my bad didnt mean to just trying to answer question but I fail :(

thanks for the info guys and gals based on the replies i will just keep it with my tiger barb they are entertaining

20 gallon long tank planted right now i have 9 tiger barbs and i need a good cp fish if possible any ideas what i should get?

I'm a bit late for this thread, but are your TigerBarbs juveniles(about 1 inch)? I'm assuming so because 9 in a 20gal will become too overcrowded for them as they mature. If you can upgrade to a 30gal at minimum, that will be better down the road. Once they start vying for top fish on the shoal, you'll see them go nose to nose and they'll be a fair amount of chasing.

jcolon said:
I'm a bit late for this thread, but are your TigerBarbs juveniles(about 1 inch)? I'm assuming so because 9 in a 20gal will become too overcrowded for them as they mature. If you can upgrade to a 30gal at minimum, that will be better down the road. Once they start vying for top fish on the shoal, you'll see them go nose to nose and they'll be a fair amount of chasing.

yes they are still juveniles

ejaramillo01 said:
On top of that, tiger barbs a fin nippers, so if one day you upgrade your tank (bigger tank), you need to be careful selecting tank mates for them.

Tank mates for tiger barbs was the original reason for this thread.

Back
Top Bottom