Compatiblity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishLover14

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a quick compatibly Question.

Will 5 Electric Yellows in a 29gallon tank with some rock go ok.

I have a friend who has owned cichlids close to 35 years and the lfs manger says it should be fine-I also have talked to about 15 other people who think it would be ok-Anyone here think it would work out okay?

TIA

You should be fine. The Electric Yellows grow to about 5" and you shouldn't see any problems. As they grow, you will need to do plenty of water changes.

Keep one male and the rest females. Be prepared for lots of fry!! I have seen this set up on a larger scale at one of the local diners. It's nice, but if you look closely (they allow the fish to spawn and spawn), there are some scared fish (and some mangled males) in there and it's over crowded. You are a respondsible fish owner and you will be able to prevent problems before they happen.

What i proabbly am going to do i know it is bad but, Leave the fry in their and let most of them get eaten and if there are any left scoop them out and put them in a 10gal and grow them out-Woudl u move all of the fry? And i will be careful that they dont start fiighting or naything-if they do i have a 10 and some tank dividers on hand.,

Thanks!

Personally, if I were you, i'd scoop out some fry as soon as you see them and put them in the 10 gallon by themselves. Not all of them, just select 10 or so, and try to raise them. Ethically I would say, get a huge tank to raise all the fry! But realistically I would try the method of choosing some of them and raise them, and then sell them to your lfs.
Good luck!

(If you were really looking in to breeding healthy specimens, I would advice you to get the females from one breeder/shop, and the male from another breeder/shop. This way you avoid inbred fish being sold)

The only problem is their is only 1 lfs in the area and I will not buy fish from wal-mart. I think i will scoop out the fry and when i hav 100000 fry i will give them away free to auqaruim advice memebres. LOL

What i proabbly am going to do i know it is bad but, Leave the fry in their and let most of them get eaten and if there are any left scoop them out and put them in a 10gal and grow them out
That's fine. It's really hard to catch the little buggers, so the ones that fend for themselves will be your best ones after a month or so anyway.
And i will be careful that they dont start fiighting or naything-if they do i have a 10 and some tank dividers on hand.,
It's the males you need to worry about.

That is prisicaely why i am only going to have 1 male-I amgoing to get like 10 in the beging with so i can have a 1 male to 4 females ratio and take back the other males and i may end up with a few more females-I will work something out. Thanmks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom