Complete newbie question on lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7bubbles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

I have a 40g tank and I was having issues with Nitrate levels which would not go below 40 despite the 20-25% pwc every weekend. I read in a forum that a few Anacharis would help absorbing some of the Nitrate, so I planted a couple anacharis and a cabomba.

Also reading in the forum (information overdose) I read I may not have enough light. My tank came with two T5 of 24w (22"). So the million dollar (or pounds, your choice) is: is that enough light?

I don't plan to get more plants, these were just to help controlling the Nitrates (hopefully) so my intention is not get into a complicated planted aquarium.

It's been only three days and the anacharis are staring to look a bit brown (or maybe its my imagination). The cabomba seems ok so far.

Would changing my lights for two Arcadia T5 Plant Pro do any good? They are also 24w but the spectrum is supposed to be better for plants.

Your comments will be highly appreciated.

anacharis is a very low light demanding plant. it'll be fine. the cabomba will probably do ok too. I'd expect problems with the cabomba far before problems with anacharis

Back
Top Bottom