Complete water change? High nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bianca90

Aquarium Advice Regular
Since I have my nitrates at 160 ppm and gradual water changes are not working, could I do a complete water change with water from my local salt water fish store?, I have a fish and about 15 snails and crabs. I've lost a lot of money over the nitrates. Help!

Thank you

thats like starting over. it can be done though, but it might stress your live stock out and might kill some life on your rocks and substrate

lets see if any more knowledgable members agree

What test kit are you using?
What water are you using for water changes now?

Its not starting over cuz your bene bacteria is not in the water its on the lr and some on substrate. He would only have die off if his rock dried, as long as it stays wet the bacteria can live.

Do you have fish in the tank? If you dont there could be die off because of a shortage of food for your bacteria such as ammonia and nitrite unless you dose. It takes time for shrimp to break down into ammonia.
How often have you been doing pwc's and at what percentage?
Do you have a skimmer? Sump? Macroalgea?

how large is your tank? also how often are you feeding/how much are you feeding? how much rock do you have in the tank? and what kind of substrate?
I have known people to do 50% water changes to drop nitrates. only ever heard of people doing 100% changes when something bad happens, like macro algae going sexual.

it would be good to know the questions that fishguy2727 asked as well.

Have you still got all them fish in your tank?
Your tank is only a few months old and you had a large amount of fish go in it very quickly,also you've used some regular rock from an old freshwater tank into this one,this could be leeching trates?
I think you'll find that there isn't enough beneficial bacteria in your tank to support your bio load and I also think your PWC % isn't enough,Give us some answers and hopefully we can steer you into the right direction!!

Back
Top Bottom