Complex Lighting Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Link119

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a planted tank with a few java fern which show no tiny growth over a month. What lighting should i get for the plants. I have a light hood that allows for cfl. Im looking for medium to low light. The problem is that the tank is in the sunroom and it is getting a lot of indirect light (no rays of light are on the tank, i am getting ambient light). What wattage bulbs should i get? My hood can hold 2 bulbs.

You can get good 10 watt daylight aquarium CFL bulbs at walmart or most pet stores. Alternately, you can use spiral type daylight bulbs sold at nearly any large store or home center. The long, U shaped aquarium CFLs are better for your type of fixture but both types work. Spiral bulbs are better for downward fixtures like reptile style fixtures and U bulbs are best for horizontal fixtures.

If i put plenty of java moss would that reduce the nutrients for algae?
Im thinking that maybe putting one cfl to the side away from the window would help giving enough light. Or maybe i will get some cheap leds to give the ambient light a boost to be enough for my tank.

Any and all growing plants can have a positive effect on battling algae. The moss should help but it isn't a solution all on it's own.

It's better to not use any incandescent bulbs at all. Seriously. I'd get 2 bulbs. Also, either painting the back and perhaps even sides (either one or both), or simply buying an aquarium background, is paramount to reducing the amount of natural light getting into the tank. All natural light does for a planted tank is heat it up and increase algae. I use the plastic aquarium backgrounds but either option does the same job.

I have a background already, but the sides are open. I think i can live with algae as long as it isnt going to be growing with a lot of speed. I am willing to scrape it off once a week (by the end of the week it does end up being a bit right now) but i think adding java moss will reduce the amount of algae i have to a point in which it isnt enough to bother me.

Back
Top Bottom