Concerned goldfish owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichaelH

Aquarium Advice Newbie
IMG_2791.jpg

Approximately 2 months ago I got two goldfish, however, one of them unfortunately passed away with no signs of infection. The other fish started to isolate itself in the bottom corner of the tank and again showed no signs of infection. We waited a week or so to make that the fish showed no signs of infection too which it did not. After speaking to the couple at the local aquatics shop they said that it was pining a mate, so we got it a friend! The new friend has been with us a few weeks and is really healthy, unfortunately the original fish seems to still isolate itself in the top corners of the tank. It's tail fin also seems to have 'shrunk' and become crooked (see picture).
The tank is approximately 12 litres but don't quote me on it. I actively use water solution drops and the tank & filter sponges are regularly cleaned.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Too small of a tank

I'm new to this but that little guy does not look healthy. Are you testing your water? That's really too small of a tank for 2 goldfish. Although they seem small now they are huge waste producers!! They say at least 20gallons for the first goldfish and 10gallons for each goldfish after that.

I'm not entirely sure how to test it if I'm honest. Can I buy water testing kits? I'm cleaning it regularly removing 25% of the water approximately whilst cleaning in between the gravel. I just don't understand how one is healthy and the other one isn't. Thanks for the advice!

On another note which I didn't mention earlier was that the newer fish tends to chase the fish around the tank from time to time, generally around feeding time. I'm not sure if this is any use at all.

Ok, so long stort short, those goldfish get way too big for that tank, they create a lot of waste and that is probably what is killing them.

Also, you never want to clean or replace the filters beyond just rinsing them off in old tank water during a water change. The filter material contains bacteria colonies that basically eat the waste fish produce. What you are doing now is called fish-in cycling.

Also, I'd fill the tank up more, and start doing at least 50% water changes every day and look at getting a much bigger tank if you plan on keeping these two, as common goldfish can get to a foot long. You'll also want to get a water testing kit like this one https://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B075YM6XDP

If it were me, I'd take the goldfish back to the store. If you really want to keep goldfish I'd do a lot more research on them and fish keeping before trying again.

Goldfish have been known to pick on the sick fish in the tank to eliminate their chances of contracting any illnesses. If you cant get a test kit just take a sam0le of your water to your local pet/fish store and they can test it gor you. Since your tank is new you probably will have high ammonia levels, so it won't be long until your new fish isn't doing well either. Large water changes (50% to 75% every day) for the next month is crucial since you already have 2 goldfish in there

I agree with all of the above. I rescued a goldfish from the fair and had no idea what I was getting myself into. Now that I've done the research I realize. I got a 55 gallons n for my one goldfish which will still have to be transferred to a pond at some point. I order an API fresh water testing kit from Amazon. I had my one goldfish in a 7.5 gallon tank with 2 filters and never got the ammonia under control. I had to do 80% water changes every day. Good luck to you

Funnily enough this is a fairground fish too! It's fascinating how sensitive they are to different factors, I appreciate all of the input and I will look to purchase a bigger tank (at least).

Funnily enough this is a fairground fish too! It's fascinating how sensitive they are to different factors, I appreciate all of the input and I will look to purchase a bigger tank (at least).
Welcome to the hobby and don't get discouraged, I killed like 5 goldfish before I perfected my skills. If you keep it going I promise you will be hooked [emoji4]

IMG_2807.jpg

Thanks for all your advice! I've managed to get hold of a bigger tank (110 litres) and got another fish to stop the bullying. The original fish still isn't himself but hopefully he will feel a little better now that they're not cramped.

Nice! Just don't forget those large water changes and you will be good to go.

Welcome!

It is a bad thing Fairs keep giving away GF, especially the ones which grow so large, it is because they are so cheap. How many people hate fish keeping after this kind of experience or think it is very hard because of the misinformation about GF!?!?!

Wonderful that you were able to get a larger tank.

If you can, read the article about getting started in my signature line and maybe learn a few more things to help fish keeping become easier!

Unfortunately the little guy didn't make it. I found him this morning. I don't agree with fairs giving away goldfish but it's a practice that won't stop anytime soon unfortunately. It does dishearten but it doesn't deter me from keeping them, it just makes me understand how sensitive an animal they are and how I'd like to find out more about them. I think this forum is great especially for newcomers like me!

They go through mistreatment before you even get them because people may not realize what is happening.

A fancy GF might make a better pet fish.

here is the section to read through
Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community
Especially this thread/Sticky
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

And again if you are getting started the article in my signature is wonderfully loaded with good stuff to know! So are other articles here as well.

Back
Top Bottom