Concrete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmw

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is quick Crete safe to use in aquariums to build rocks, and maybe use quartz crystals too?

So much simpler to buy rocks at a landscaping supply company. Quikrete can be safe but getting it to that point is a pain.

Has to be soaked for extensive periods to remove chemicals that initially leech into the water. Do a quick search on DIY Live Rock, it will give you an idea of the process and time involved.

It depends on the fish you have imo. I keep Africans and didn't wait any more then a few days as it cured to install. I didn't even soak it and there was no signs of anything except the ph went up.

Andrew McFadden said:
It depends on the fish you have imo. I keep Africans and didn't wait any more then a few days as it cured to install. I didn't even soak it and there was no signs of anything except the ph went up.

It can still leech out some nasty stuff, happened to me, I killed allot of fish before I figured out it needed to soak more.

I researched many how to articles about Quickrete DIY backgrounds, and I saw a few recommending that they be cured in saltwater because it would help the nasties leech out faster. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

Mogurako said:
It can still leech out some nasty stuff, happened to me, I killed allot of fish before I figured out it needed to soak more.

I can see that happening, my water got a little hazy but with a few water changes it went away.

severum mama said:
I researched many how to articles about Quickrete DIY backgrounds, and I saw a few recommending that they be cured in saltwater because it would help the nasties leech out faster. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

I've seen that when I did a ton of research, when I built mine and when I wrote the article for AA.

Last edited:
Hey, sorry man, I totally missed that article. :/

Glad things went so well for you! :)

severum mama said:
Hey, sorry man, I totally missed that article. :/

Glad things went so well for you! :)

It's still on the front page maybe you and the op will check it out. :) I know Mogurako won't it most definitely is an experience.

Back
Top Bottom