Condy anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got him yesterday. Did a little research before purchase but still a ton of questions. Anchored in liverock tight. Seems happy.

Thanks for comment on the skull. Love it. I want to get some kind of treasure chest and put some dollar coins pouring out but need to find something to coat them with. Pretty sure the metal there made of is a no no.

my maroon clown hosted my condy and it was awesome. He'd hang out inside and poke his head out. He eventually jumped out of teh tank and I found him on the floor...

So anyway, a Maroon Clown may host it. They get HUGE by the way. When I took my Condy out (got too big) he was the size of a dinner plate. They move a lot too so make sure your powerheads can't suck him in if you have any in the tank...

Fishfighter said:
Will clown fish host this? I've heard it's rare

I've had my Haitian pink tip condy for a month and both my Ocellaris clowns haven't hosted it. At night they get curios but they refuse to go too close.

If you have fish that use that skull to hide be sure to remove it and clean regularly. I had Had one in an old fw tank of mine and the fish used to fill it with poop lol. Off topic but just FYI

How big do they get? Don't have a lot of coral to bother but good to know.

Fishfighter said:

Hasn't really grown yet but if moves every day...same here I don't have corals yet but am planning on buying some

In under a year mine went from about 2 inches wide to 8 inches wide. The thing got massive. The tenticles (or what ever you call them) were at least 6 inches. It took up half of my 55 gallon tank, I had coral on one side and the anemone on the other. I finally took it back after my clown died cause I wanted more coral in the tank but couldn'f find space because of my wandering Condy. It was awesome though, I loved it.

It takes really big poops though, watch for them and suck them out with a turkey baster when you see it flowing from it's mouth. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it...lol Feed them frozen mysis shrimp, they love it...

I have some porous rock and he's in there for good. He only moved a couple of inches from where I put him yesterday. I feed my fish krill, Mysis shrimp, and plankton. A few live shrimp twice a week. The Mysis sticks to him like glue. I'm not big on corals but love my fish.

Ive heard Condy s have a little more potent sting then bta's do, that's why some fish may be reluctant to get in them, also they may be a little more aggressive with feeding and the fish are afraid they may get eaten. I had damsels that would host my Condy, but I now have snowflake clowns and they won't have anything to do with the Condy.

My little clown fish hosts our condy well, which I know is rare...but he hides in this anemone all the time! It's so cute!

image-1674446217.jpg

Anyway, what I am needing to know is if my condy is dying. Take a good look of how healthy our condy looked in the picture with our clown and now look at what it looks like now.

image-2053720635.jpg

I'm worried about it. Is it dying? What should I do? Any and all advice would be appreciated!

MalBurke said:
My little clown fish hosts our condy well, which I know is rare...but he hides in this anemone all the time! It's so cute!

Anyway, what I am needing to know is if my condy is dying. Take a good look of how healthy our condy looked in the picture with our clown and now look at what it looks like now.

I'm worried about it. Is it dying? What should I do? Any and all advice would be appreciated!

What kind of condy is that? It looks like a rose bubble tip to me. Maybe you need your light bulbs changed? When the last time you've done a wc?

Jake337 said:
What kind of condy is that? It looks like a rose bubble tip to me. Maybe you need your light bulbs changed? When the last time you've done a wc?

I'm not sure what specific type it is. We rescued this tank from a school teacher who was having twins. She already had the anemone and two damsels. We added a clown and a cleaner shrimp. According to her it is just a pink tipped condy.

We just bought the light bulb about two months ago. It is a power glo t8 15 watt. I checked my water levels after posting, ammonia was fine; so was the nitrate/nitrite. The ph was a little low but safe. Salt level is perfect. We did a partial water change last weekend.

MalBurke said:
This is what it looks like right now.

I'm not an expert on anemones, but I think you might need a stronger light fixture. It's prob not getting enough light.

I agree you Definitely need more light, depending on your tank size I would atleast get a 2 bulb t5ho fixture at minimum and that may not be enough, you really need a 4 bulb t5ho, and probably in the next couple weeks at the latest. Maybe look into DIY LEDs.

Saratj1 said:
I agree you Definitely need more light, depending on your tank size I would atleast get a 2 bulb t5ho fixture at minimum and that may not be enough, you really need a 4 bulb t5ho, and probably in the next couple weeks at the latest. Maybe look into DIY LEDs.

Our tank is only a 20 gallon. We have a 110 aqua clear filter on it. Weren't sure if we needed a power head or not. The current from the filter is pretty strong. Maybe the light is the problem. The guy at the fish store said it would be plenty but I guess he could be wrong. I just need to know if it's dying cause if it is I don't want to leave it in there too long. I don't want my other fish to die.

Back
Top Bottom