Confused Beginner to Planted Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluestman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I wonder if anyone can help me out. I have always wanted to have a planted aquarium but my crayfish makes that impossible at the moment. I have been looking for another tank to experiment with some plants. Size constraints mean I can only get a tank of around 5-10 gallons. I have a 3' reptile tank and a 4' aquarium in a small lounge already and my wife insists that any new tank has to fit under the aquarium. I have read loads of articles and some pretty interesting tanks on here and other sites but am suffering from information overload at the moment so wanted to clarify a few points with people who actually know what they are talking about.

I want to start this really simply and cheaply and then progress to something a bit trickier with time and experience. For lighting I will be starting with the standard bulb that comes with the tank and then look at upgrading when it becomes inadequate. so I'll be starting with low/moderate light plants also I've read that they are easier to grow and maintain.

I was thinking of using Black Tahitian Moon Sand for substrate, I will be planting mainly java moss and ferns initially but later on will want a bigger variety. Is this substrate going to be good enough for a variety of plants?

Do I need to cycle a planted tank?

Would co2 be needed in the initial stages of this project or is it something I can add on later?

Does the tank clean itself? ie: If I kept shrimps would their waste be taken up by the plants?

If not how do you clean detritus from the sand and plants without trashing your tank?

Please forgive me if these are stupid questions but this is not something I have ever dealt with. I really did think that you bought a plant, shoved it in the gravel and then left it to sort itself out. After researching this apparently not.

Many thanks in advance

Bluestman

You can absolutely start small/cheap and figure things out before moving to a higher tech tank. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Tahitian moon sand will work. others have used it with big success. Black sand substrates do tend to look dirtier quicker, though, from particles and build up, so consider that.

If you're only going to have plants, there's not really a need to cycle it. If you want to keep fish or shrimp with them, then it's easiest to do a fishless cycle on the tank first.

CO2 is not needed until you get into higher light situations. It can be added pretty easily at any point.

Cleaning the tank can be pretty tricky when you have a fine sand. Using small tubing, like airline, can assist you in cleaning the sandbed without sucking up too much sand.

You can buy Low-Light plants that will work fine with the Stock Bulb as long as it is Fluorescent.
I suggest Liquid Fertilizer (Such as SeaChem Flourish Excel).
Do you plan on keeping Fish in there?

So what you have is a 5 Gallon Tank.
Congrats on your purchase!
I am having a hard time thinking right now, but I imagine one small bag (approx 5lbs) would do...
Hopefully someone can correct me..

Got to agree, that tool is really handy. Substrate has now been ordered. Unfortunately not the black moon sand as I couldn't find it online. However I have ordered Unipac Limpopo Black Aquarium Sand which will not look as good but will create the effect I'm looking for.

I live near the beach so will be going on a rock hunt later today. I have loads of rocks from the beach in my main tank with no adverse affects to the livestock. Is this going to be any different with plants? Is there anything specific I should look for or avoid? When I have put rocks in my main tank I usually leave it to soak for a couple of hours in a very weak bleach solution and then rinse it over a couple of days. Is this adequate or are there any other methods I could use. The rocks I collect are normally dark granite with quartz streaks.

Thanks for all the advice so far

Bluestman

Anytime I put Rocks from the wild in any of my Tanks, I usually boil them for a good 10 min. I've used the weak Bleach method before as well, just make sure you dip them into a 5x Dechlorinator/water bucket before you put them in your tank.

Thanks for the advice so far, now I'm gonna ask what is probably a really dumb question.......I am using a fine sand as a substrate, how do I stop this from just being sucked up by my filter? The tank hasn't arrived yet but it has a filter fitted in the lid with an up-pipe to the rear right hand corner. If it stirs the water too much would I just shorten the up-pipe?

Bluestman

Back
Top Bottom