confused :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vsnsofadrgn

Aquarium Advice Addict
im very confused about whats goin on with my water. i have been battling algae for awhile now. when i used distilled water from walmart, i didnt have any problems, but i was tired of lugging water so i got my ro/di unit up and running again. this seemed to be going ok, but i couldnt get ahold of the problem. it would come less and less, but still came. (i did have a bunch of snails die, which caused ALOT of problems, but i did plenty of water changes with the distilled water and it was a LONG time ago. i did 30-40% water changes every week for about 3 weeks or so) i finally got a tds meter because i was confused. well the tap water tests at 288. i tested the ro/di water and it tested 309. i changed the filters and its at 355 now. does that make sense??? im very confused. i feed every other day, sometimes every 2-3 days (i feed frozen mysis and formula one, which i rinse in ro/di). my bioload is very light, only a yellow watchman goby and a maroon clown, along with about 10 hermits, 2 pep shrimps, and a cbs, in a 55. i have 30 lbs lr and 30 base. please help!!!

Did you change out the prefilters only? Or did you include the expensive ro filter too?

well its a 6 stage unit and i get the pack that the "guy" sells, which are 5 filters. i change them every couple of months, i havent even had the unit a year yet. its these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=160030404212&rd=1&rd=1. i thought i was getting everything i needed. maybe not??

i have thought about an urchin (or other algea eatin critter) and a debris eating star, but i dont want anything ot die on my account. i want the water quality to be at its best first.

Wow. I can't imagine the membrane failing that soon. Mine is over 2 yrs old and my TDS tests at 1.

Are you sure your not catching the discharge water?

Does the "post-polishing" activated carbon filter make sense to anyone else? Wouldn't this result in less pure water?

You might try testing the water immediately after the DI resin stage.

according to his site, the filters are supposed to last a year, but i thought i had really bad water, so i changed them every couple/few months. i dont think im catching the discharge water... ill have to double check. ill also have to check the post polishing thing too.

You should have a line coming from the unit that has water you cannot use. I just run that line out in the yard to water the grass.

The carbon filter after the DI chamber is for taste only. I do not use mine at all since I use the RO/DI for the fish tank only. I have an aquasafe canada unit and I bought my filters from them. They recommend changing the filters every 6 months. I have gotten more from mine though.

Are you getting a fast steady stream or a thin slow stream? This will vary depending on water pressure but the discharg line will be alot faster than output line.

well the thing is that the unit has a flow rate thing on it, so i make the one that i think is the good water go faster, of course! ill check the water from the "discharge" line and see what its measurement is, i guess that will tell me, if not ill have to take a pic and let someone id it for me. i really hope i havent been putting the bad water in there this whole time...

ok, so i tested each outline, one is at 366, the other at 355, so that didnt help much. here is a pic. the blue line is the one that i thought was the good water, the orange the drainage line. tap water, 288. i just dont get, how can that be? and is that pretty bad for tap water? i guess i know where my issues are, so thats one good thing!

I don't think 288 is all that bad. Not good but should not be hard for a RO/DI to get it down to 0. Try your pic again.

oops, i forgot to put it in, sorry :oops: ..... here it is. when i was just using the tap water for top offs, the next day, the tank would be COVERED in algea. i thought it was real bad, lol. i thought the ro/di would take care of it, but it looks like its even worse some how.... im confused.

vsnsofadrgn said:
the blue line is the one that i thought was the good water, the orange the drainage line.

I only have a 4 stage but mine is the same way you describe. Could a defective meter be the problem.

i thought so too, so i bought some distilled water and tested that, its at 12. so its not the meter. i dont know whats goin on.... any ideas? could it be the ro filter? where would i get one? it does sit there, the only time i use it is for my weekly water changes. its hooked up to an adapter to the faucet. would it just sitting there cause a problem? i dont know, maybe its jst a peice of junk.... ????

Do you see how your DI unit is on its side and where the water is bypassing the resin? I had the same problem with my resin chamber... What I did is put longer water lines on the DI chamber a made a holder for it out of a 2x4 and plumbers strap and stood it on end. My TDS went from 100 to 0 after that.

hmm, that sounds like something simple enough. i know this is a dumb question, but which one exactly is the di?? the clear one?

vsnsofadrgn said:
hmm, that sounds like something simple enough. i know this is a dumb question, but which one exactly is the di?? the clear one?

Not dumb at all,Here is a pic of what I did and yes its the clear one,total cost for me was less than 15$ (xtra line,2x4,plumbers strap)

Also what color is your DI resin in the clear chamber?

Attachments

• rodi_203.jpg
    rodi_203.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom