Confusion and a little help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am making my new 75g and i want it to be planted. No spectacular plants, just a low light/low tech set up. But i am still trying to learn. So in browsing forums in the planted section i was reading this, http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/as-vs-ap-com-substrate-127018.html#post1082365. There were lots of abrieveations i didnt know and would like too.

In post number 8 you see CUC.
In post number 6 you see sms
Also what is power sand.

I also see EI method for dosing ferts and i dont know what that is. Also what is the PPS Pro method? How do you find the right balance between ferts/Co2/substrate? I guess the most confusing thing for me is ferts. Any help would be appreciated.

Low light/low tech shouldn't need too much added upkeep... I have a very lightly stocked tank with java fern and anubias nana-- I dose Flourish Comprehensive when I do water changes and if I remember otherwise and the plants do well; my anubias is very happy actually. Anacharis will also grow like weeds with no more help than some light and extra fish food.

No, i know that it dosent take much when it comes to a low tech tank like mine, i am just asking so i know for the future. Knowledge is power.

CUC is Clean-Up Crew. Not sure about SMS or power sand.

EI dosing is Estimative Index dosing. It's a method to dose a planted tank with fertilizers without needing to test. The whole idea of EI dosing is that you have an excess of nutrients in the water that gets removed with a decent PWC at the end of the week is essential. Not sure what PPS is, other than it's another fertilizing schedule.

If you google EI dosing, you'll find some good information.

Let me see if I can help some here...

Post 8 in that other thread is referring to CEC in terms of substrates (CUC is a very different thing, and yes much more specific to SW aquariums). CEC is Cation Exchange Capacity, which is a calculated value that is an estimate of the soil's ability to attract, retain, and exchange cation elements (Source). CEC is important in planted tanks when using these types of clay substrates as a higher CEC means the substrate is more prone to absorbing nutrients (the ferts you dose into the water column), and then being able to supply those nutrients to plants via their root systems.

SMS is an old substrate that is no longer being manufactured (it's what I have in my 125g tank). It stands for Soilmaster Select, and it was replaced commercially by what is now called Turface a few years ago.

Power Sand is an element to the ADA Aquasoil "system" of substrates that you're supposed to mix with their Aquasoil substrate. From the ADGshop website, "Power Sand is composed of porous volcanic stones to secure proper water circulation and of organic materials including fertile peat to provide rich nutrients to aquatic plant roots. Ideal conditions for bacterial activity and development of plant roots are created and maintained for long periods with Power Sand."

EI, as stated above, is the Estimative Index method of dosing fertilizers. The EI method summary is that you dose enough ferts in your aquarium to make absolute sure that enough nutrients will always be available to your plants, then at the end of every week you do a very large water change to get rid of the excess before you start again the following week.

PPS Pro is a different strategy that aims to provide, on a daily basis, the amount of ferts that your plants will need for that day. The concept here is to not allow the nutrient levels to get too high, which causes algae issues. PPS is a little more difficult to deal with, especially in the beginning, because running out of a single nutrient (and not the others) is a bad algae scenario to be in as well. It takes time to get things balanced out, but it is my preferred method of use once it's dialed in. There's also a lot more leniency if you just can't do a PWC one weekend since you don't have a huge excess of nutrients in the tank that must be removed before it's too late.

Zeroing in the right balance of all those things you listed just takes time, especially ferts. We in the community give guidelines of where to start out (i.e. how much ferts to dose) but in all it is really up to you to pay attention to your tank (no 2 are completely alike) and make tweaks along the way.

CO2 is pretty straight forward. 30-35ppm of CO2 is a nice, balanced place to be. It provides plenty of CO2 for your plants, while not saturating the water so much with gas that there's no O2 for your fish.

As for substrate selections, that's a whole lot of personal preference. Different substrates provide different things, like you probably read about in the AS vs AP thread.

I hope that cleared some things up for you. If not, ask away and I'll try again. =)

It sounds really really hard and complicated, I know it does. All you really need to fully understand is that you're going to need patience, you're going to deal with algae issues, and that AA is here to help you through it. There is a very steep learning curve to planted tanks, but the benefits in the end are awesome!

Also, depending on the types of plants you want to do (you only said low-light, low-tech) you may not need to worry about any of this. Many of the easy, beginner plants will do just fine without anything special at all. Standard aquarium gravel, regular lighting and nothing else can grow some plants just fine, your selection of plant types is just limited to those few easy plants if that's what you're looking to do.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks neilanh. I was not wanting to read it until i had time to REALLY read it. Thanks. So would you suggest starting out small might help me learn a little bit with the trial and error? Like a 10g or 20g? Also what substrate do you prefer?

There's pros and cons to starting small. I started in a 20g, quickly moved to a 29 (within 3 months) and less than a year later I had a 125g. lol

Bigger is always better, because more water volume makes the tank more tolerant to the mistakes you're going to make (i.e. the learning curve). If you're sure planted tanks are what you want to do, and you're willing to put in the maintenance time it requires to do them, then there's no reason not to go big right off the bat. It costs more up front, but if you know you're going to do it anyway at some point, why not go ahead? In the long run you save money this way.

However, if you're not sure planted tanks are for you, small works just as well too and it's significantly less costly to do a small tank - just in lighting alone. It gives you a cheaper way to "test the waters" so to speak.

My local plant club has covered, I'm willing to bet, every kind of substrate known to man. Everything on the market, there's also a big group of them that make their own, to others that use stuff you'd never think you should put in a tank - lol. The wealth of knowledge you can gain from a local club is enormous. That's my plug for local clubs. haha

For me, out of all the soils I've used, my preference are these clay ones - Turface, the aquariumplants stuff, you can even get the stuff at home depot called Schultz's aquatic soil. It's all basically the same stuff. My preference has to do with control. I don't believe that I'm a control freak by nature, but I like to have the ability to control the environment. With enriched substrates, you get what they give you. You can add extra stuff, but you can never take away from what's there. That's why I prefer the clay. It's completely inert when you get, like a blank slate, and you can control everything from there.

Nothing against the enriched substrates, I have used both Eco-Complete and Aquasoil with great success, so they work very well too, and do require much less dosing of ferts, although I did find that with both of those, I had to regularly dose some nutrients. There's also the startup cost of those substrates which is significantly higher than the clay substrates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom