Confusion over stock for 70 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandomGal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently bought an established 70 gallon tank in a private sale. Said tank had several fish in it that were optional with the tank. The seller didn't really have anywhere to put the fish if I didn't want them, so I just took them and decided to figure it out later.

From what I've been reading, it seems that some of the fish I have really shouldn't be together yet they've been living in harmony for the past several years in the seller's home. I'd like to add some more fish to the tank, but I'm really not sure what to do. Here's what I have:

- 1 common pleco (we're keeping him for now, but he's fairly large already, so we know he's going to have to be re-homed in the future)
- 2 rainbow sharks (they get along really well, it's kind of bizarre)
- 1 black banded leporinus (mostly keeps to himself, sometimes swims with the sharks)
- 2 black skirt tetras (I know they should be in a group of 5, I'd be willing to give them up to the LFS)
- 1 green tiger barb (I know he needs a group as well)
- 1 red wag platy

I'd like to get some more barbs to make a school. My LFS has larger ones, so they won't get chomped by anyone else in the tank.

I'd also like some colorful and active fish. Unique looking fish could trump colorful (eg. I like rope fish, but from what I've read, they won't work in my tank). Would any cichlids be compatible?

The tank has 3 caves and a few plastic plants. I'll add more hiding places if needed. Substrate is gravel in earth tones. Filtration is Eheim 2215 canister & Aquaclear 110 HOB. All water parameters are excellent. I do water changes twice weekly, but am still working out the amount of water to change out since I've only had the tank for a couple of weeks.

If anyone could offer any advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

I've been doing some more reading and I have a very loose plan that I'd love some input on.

The stock list in the above post stands, aside from the black skirt tetras who I intend to re-home.

I'd like to add more tiger barbs, perhaps a school of 8-10.

I'm also wondering if a variety of three spot gourami would be okay. Most of what I've read says they can hold their own with the the tiger barbs and sharks.

Another thing I'm wondering about is the single platy. He seems okay in there right now - he hangs out with one of the sharks most of the time. Should I add more platies, or will I run into problems with some of the other inhabitants?

I'd love some suggestions of other possible tankmates if my choices aren't going to work. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom