Considering a second tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cplawrence

Aquarium Advice Freak
It looks like I'm crossing the line between hobby and addiction.... I've been at this for about 6 months now and am looking at getting a second tank (~75 gallon). As such I've been reading Jchillin's thread with a lot of interest, but I'm still pretty clueless about a number of things. First off, I've been looking around at various LFSs and yesterday came across what seemed like a good deal. They had a 75 gallon (All-Glass) with heater, pine stand, and 2 Penguin 330's for $520. They would allow me to substitute a canister filter for the difference in cost. However, since they seem to be really overpricing the Penguins (about $60 each), a Fluval 404 is almost the same price! My questions then, is this indeed a good deal? If not, do you have any suggestions of where to find the tank and stand on-line? Is All-Glass a good brand for the tank? They only are offering a one year warranty with it (which is actually what led me to get an acryllic tank the first time around--it came with a lifetime warranty).
I'm sure I'll have more questions as we go, but thanks for your help!

Being in Canada, cant tell you really about prices, but I recently bought a Perfecto
tank & stand, this one has a 20 year warranty, so definately worth comparing!

I agree, check your prices online as well as at the LFS's. When I considered moving to a larger tank for my asian sun cat I was very interested in the acrylic tank, mostly because of the waranty but also because I know I'm going to have to move a few more times in the next few years and glass tanks don't move well...

All glass is a great brand of tank. From what I've been told by the people at the lfs and on this site, Oceanic is the best you can get and All Glass falls into second place. They are nice tanks and I haven't had any problems moving with them. Acrylic is more expensive and scratches easier. My sister in law has an acrylic tank and it gets so scratched up when she cleans it. It can be easily buffed out though.

A 75 gal tank for $520 that comes with tank, stand, heater, and filtration, I don't think that it's a BAD price, but I have seen cheaper. Be cautious when ordering online. Some tanks break during shipping.

Regarding the warranty, I thought All-Glass has a longer warranty than that. I could have sworn that my 55 came with a 10 or 20 year warranty.

For the record, All-Glass and Oceanic are the same company and has been for a few years. Oceanic is the "upscale" version.

I just paid a similar amount for my new set up. There are additional charges for shipping (that is due to having to ship via freight and not UPS/FedEx/DHL, etc.).

Oceanic is the "upscale" version

I had no idea that they were the same company. But you can definately tell that the Oceanic's are more expensive. They look nicer and you have more options on trim colors.

The oceanic brand uses thicker glass, I believe. Kind of like Ford owning Jaguar, same company, different manufacturing, different factories, and different product.

I have found that two of my LFS's offer great prices on tanks and stands. Including the oceanics. They don't mark them up that much, so they say, as they try to make their profit on the accessories. Thus, I buy the tanks and stand there, then the accessories online. Look into it, you can probably save a decent sum of money that way. Don't feel bad, they will still seperate you from your cash on other supplies and livestock.

Jchillin said:
Take a look at this from their website (right side paragraph...middle).

http://www.oceanicsystems.com/history.html

And from All-Glass website - http://www.all-glass.com/newfaq/#40

They forward you to Oceanic Systems for custom tanks not within their standard footprint dimensions.

I didn't realize they were the same company (even after reading this link) until you pointed your link out Jchillin. I presume All-glass bought up Oceanic at some point back in time? The history page doesn't give much detail on -how- Oceanic came to be a subsidiary of All-Glass.

Anyway.

From what I understand, it was an agreement to help both companies. Oceanic didn't have a strong customer base and All-Glass didn't have a product that appealed to "expensive" tastes. A win, win agreement is signed and viola...everyone is happy.

I would LOVE to have an Oceanic with the marble trim. But it seems like the only time the lfs has a sale is on All-Glass tanks, never the Oceanics.

Jchillin said:
For the record, All-Glass and Oceanic are the same company and has been for a few years. Oceanic is the "upscale" version.

I just paid a similar amount for my new set up. There are additional charges for shipping (that is due to having to ship via freight and not UPS/FedEx/DHL, etc.).

I had noticed that in your shopping list thread. Was it the same brand of tank? I assume the stand was solid wood (oak?) I guess I am just trying to put the prices into context.

The other brand of tank I've seen at the LFS's was TopFin. Are there any thoughts on how that compares to All-glass?

Thanks again.

I stopped by another LFS on the other side of town and it turns out that they are having a special for the month--75 gallon All-glass, stand, light, hood for $350. I feel morally obligated to not pass up this one. As such, I am now looking at the rest of the equipment I would need. In JChillin's thread, the possibility of an in-line heater was mentioned a few times. However, I noticed that they only seem to go as high as 300W, but I seem to remember the general rule being 5W per gallon. Are the in-line heaters just that much more efficient? And to JChillin, in your thread you mentioned you opted for 2 300W submersible heaters. Why did you decide to go this route instead of in-line?

For the filter, I really do like the idea of the canister filter and from what I had heard would probably go with the Fluval. I noticed that it does come with media. How often should the filter media be changed? I assume that for the bio-media, the answer is never? Since I would be ordering on-line, are there any other items for the canister that would be worth ordering at the same time (that is, spare parts)?

Finally, a thought I had on trying to jumpstart the cycle was to put some of the canister bio-media into the baskets for the bio-wheel on my 29 gallon tank and then transfer it to the canister when ready. Is there any hope that this could work?

Thanks for all your help--I've been learning quite a bit just browsing through the forums lately.

How often should the filter media be changed?
If you are referring to Activated Carbon, don't even put it in the tank. Instead, add Ceramic rings. Those never have to be replaced.

Is there any hope that this could work?
Yes. It won't be an instant cycle though. You will still have to cycle the tank. Your best bet is to get ahold of Bio-Spira. If you can't, then just go fishless.

As most people on this site have already mentioned, AC is not needed. I wouldn't even put it in the canister to begin with. We dont' ever use it unless removing meds. In your 29 gal, you could also replace the AC with ceramic rings (depending on the filter that you have).

Just my opinion, but I think the 300W "inline" heater would be plenty for a 75 gal.
IMHO, the larger the water volume, the less "wattage" you need. I have 150 gal.
which is heated inline (2 filters with integr. heaters, so 2 x 210W), works perfectly fine. 8)

This is probably a dumb question, but when you say larger volume = less wattage, I assume you mean the 5 per gallon rule?
Thanks again for the help.

noticed that in your shopping list thread. Was it the same brand of tank? I assume the stand was solid wood (oak?) I guess I am just trying to put the prices into context.

My apologies cplawrence...lost track of this thread. I got the entire setup from my LFS. The prices online for shipping/handling far outweighed the cost savings. They are both AG and stand is the standard wood variety.

check out my pics for an idea. http://www.photolocker.net/gallery.php?u=Jchillin&g=Our-Fish

JChillin--not to worry; I can see you've been busy lately! I do appreciate the reply though. The pictures look great!
I have since started looking on-line for the equipment and just spend a lot of time shaking my head thinking about what I paid to get my 29 gallon set-up.... Oh well, at least I won't make that mistake again.

So what have you decided to get equipment wise? I'm preparing to set up for a 60 gallon, I got an eheim 2217 and inline heater. Thats one of the advantages of a canister is one less piece of equipment showing in your tank. Plus it would cost about the same to get 2 submersible heaters. Some good retailers are big als, drs fosterandsmith, petsolutions. Also check out craigslist and any aquarium socities in your area. You can get equipment, livestock extremley cheap.

I was planning on getting the canister filter as well, although I had been looking at the Fluval. From some other threads I read, some people would swear by the Eheim, while others didn't think it was worth the extra cost. Did you find evidence to the contrary? Thanks for mentioning the on-line retailers. I looked at both Big Al's and petsolutions, and Big Al's was much better. Although I will try the other ones you mentioned.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom